Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Salvaging an old Micron Transport laptop

• Please log in to reply

SpaceGhost79

SpaceGhost79

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an old Micron Transport XPE 166 laptop that I really haven't used except maybe once over the past two years. I had a lot of problems with it a long time ago and it got to the point where I was only using my desktop. I want to try and salvage that piece of junk now, but need some help in how to go about doing it.

It's a Micron laptop, 166mhz MMX technology, Windows 95, and either 32 or 64MB RAM (I want to say 32MB). I don't have the laptop with me and can't recall off the top of my head. 20GB hard drive, 8x Sanyo CD-ROM which will need replacing since one of the springs popped out (I think I found one for $30 I can get).

Problems I have right now are it's extremely slow... by that I mean just trying to turn on the computer and getting into Windows is a challenge sometimes. Perhaps this is some type of power problem? Or old processor/motherboard needs replacing? Also I can't get the sound card to work. I just get error messages left and right. There may be an old installation CD that I'm missing, I'm not sure, that would fix it.

I really just want to get it back in working order so I can possibly upgrade to Windows 98 and hop on the internet. Don't need all the fancy in's and out's on this thing, and don't need to go spending a lot of money, either.

So, where should I start? Any help is appreciated!

Advertisements

SpaceGhost79

SpaceGhost79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Correction... it may only be a 2.1GB hard drive. Seeing as it was made in '97, I think that's a safer bet. So I might look into upgrading it.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hello SpaceGhost79, and welcome to Geeks to Go! <_<

I'd start by reformatting and installing Windows98SE. Hopefully, all the hardware drivers will be included with Win98. If not, you'll likely have to go to the mfg's site and download them.

If you need help performing a clean install of 98, please ask!

SpaceGhost79

SpaceGhost79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, a refresher on doing a clean install would be helpful. Thanks!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here's a good guide:
http://www.duxcw.com...grade/intro.htm