Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can you install and run windows on a usb

• Please log in to reply

thegreatfixer

thegreatfixer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi all, i am working on a friends notebook (Gateway 450SX4) P4 running W/XP Pro with a IBM Travelstar (Deathstar) 20gb that is dying. (running Spinrite 6 on it now and its taking days and even then i don't know if it will be reliable. if/when it finishes and getting a 2.5 hd now is not an option. but i do have a 40gb 3.5 hd and several usb enclosures is there a way to install windows and run off a usb hd (i believe the bios has several boot options but spinrite is running so i can't check)

thank you thegreatfixer

i found this and it does not look good (why not bill)http://www.microsoft...e/usb-boot.mspx

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

The BIOS boot options will be your limitation.. If there is an option to "Boot from USB" or "Boot from External Device", it will be listed in the Boot options in BIOS..

This one isn't Bill's fault but the limitations built into BIOS itself..

Murray