Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update not working

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You might want to run the checks first

Advertisements

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Keith,

I didn't get your last reply before I installed Paint.net and framework :tazz: ! Is this going to be a problem, since Paint seems to work fine, and Microsoft auto updates keeps telling me to download some upgrades to .Net (which I have done). I still have to run the scan you suggested since I was too busy this weekend. I'll most likely try it one evening this week.

Thanks for your help!
Jan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does Microsoft Update keep asking you to download the same ones and is it working any better?

If you click tools on a web page then manage add ons, in either add ons loaded or add ons windows has used, is genuine advantage there, if yes, click it to highlight then press update active X

Running the checks will make sure the disk and system files are as they should be

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Keith,

No, it is not the same upgrades it asks me to install, seems that there were a few security updates to the .Net framework 1.1. My auto updates told me that I had to install, so I went off to Windows update. There I was informed of the new downloads/upgrade to .Net 1.1. As usual, when downloading the updates I got the usual error message. What I just did was downloaded them manually from the Microsoft download page and installed them.

Yes, Windows genuine advantage is there and I did as you suggested and upgraded it. However, I still can get no joy from the Windows Update page.... I really have to do the scan you suggested soon.

btw. How do I save an 'image' using Roxio easy cd creator 5? I want to do the check you suggested by using a 'new' Windows disk that I will slipstream both XP and Sp2 (so that the Sp2 updates are also checked on my computer). I have instructions for the slipstream, but they say that I must save it as an 'image' and burn that to CD to make it bootable. How do I do that on my old Roxio?

Thanks,
Jan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use copy data to disc it will give you the option of burning from one drive to another or burning to an image file or folder

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Keith!! I haven't even used that function!!

Do you think running the check on a slipstreamed WindowsXP with Sp2 would be better than doing the check with my original XP disc? Will the check even work with the slipstreamed disc?

Thanks for all your assistance,
Jan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
My preference would be for the original XP disc

oftenwrong

oftenwrong

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello,

This may sound like a silly suggestion but check your clock in the taskbar. I couldn't download either for a while from Microsoft. Couldn't figure out why until I noticed the year on my computer was 1 year off. Once I set the computer to the correct time, the updates started showing up again and were sucessful.

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Paint lets you manipulate images.

Did you get .net framework, even so, it hasn't helped.

To clear a couple of things, can you load the XP DC, click cancel when it asks if you want to explore the CD etc, Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you get a blue progess bar which just goes after it has checked things.

When you have an hour where you don't need the PC, click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot then press enter and reboot. It will load most of the way then you either get a blank screen or a progress screen, either way, let it run, do not disturb etc, it will get to the desktop but not for at least an hour.

Doing both these will at least check there isn't an error with the drive, or missing or corrupt system files.

View Post

Dear Keith,
I was going to run your instructions above, but want to ask you a few more questions:
1) is there a space between your instructions, such as "chkdsk/f/r" or is it "chkdsk f/ r"?
2) do I run both tests, or just the latter?

oftenwrong, yes, I did check the date awhile ago as was suggested on the Microsoft forum, but mine was set correctly.

Thanks,
Jan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes the spaces are there, you can run both, first is 5 mins

sfc /scannow

then chkdsk /f /r press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Advertisements

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Keith, I ran the first test and it found nothing wrong.

The second test requires me to have the original disk inside too correct?

I will run that when I come back after a week's vacation (I return on the 27th). Could you please not shut this topic down as I would like to continue further.

Thanks
Jan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No, but it shouldn't worry it

All the system files will be there after sfc

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

No, but it shouldn't worry it

All the system files will be there after sfc

View Post

Thanks for the quick reply Keith! So I don't need the original disk inside to run the second test.

Please keep this topic open so that I can continue when I come back. I am also having problems with Macafee updates and would like to tackle that when I come back.

Thanks for all your help so far!
Jan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See you later

T4phage

T4phage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Keith, I'm back from vacation. Will run the 2nd test.

Thanks
Jan