Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot load anything on computer now

• Please log in to reply

gavin99

gavin99

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Brenda

Some BIOS programs have the option "IDE Auto Detection", if you have it - select it and then save your bios - and try again

Cheers
Gavin

Advertisements

gavin99

gavin99

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Brenda

Some BIOS programs have the option "IDE Auto Detection", if you have it - select it and then save your bios - and try again

Cheers
Gavin

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Good Morning, I was up til 3:00 this morning, working on this computer, I did disconnect the cables one at a time and re-connected them and the 80 pin that was coming on my screen is no longer there, now my dvd player is not listed at all and I have re-connected it 4 times. I am going to go and try to find new cables for this computer just incase that could be it. I do have both hard drives and both
cd setting on AUTO, I even set both the cd-rom and the dvd on first boot just hoping one of them would take the new window xp disk. so I am going to check my sugar, take my shot , take my medicine and a breathing treatment & then I will go & get 2 new cables, new memory and some 3.5 floppy disk, can you think of anything else that I need to get while I am out. I am not allowed to dirve anymore for health reasons and I have to go when I can get a ride, and I have one today. Thank you, Brenda

In Bios I have a Primary Master CWo38D ATAPI CD-R/RW
Primary Slave Samsung SP0411N
Secondary Master FuJITSU MPE3102AT
Secondary Slave NONE ( this is where my dvd recorder used
to be listed)
They do have IDE HDD Auto-Detection, and I hit enter on all 4 of them and all 4 of them are set on Auto.

Edited by old momma, 04 August 2005 - 08:27 AM.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Brenda,

You did Great! :tazz:
This is what I was looking for:

In Bios I have a Primary Master CWo38D ATAPI CD-R/RW
Primary Slave Samsung SP0411N
Secondary Master FuJITSU MPE3102AT
Secondary Slave NONE ( this is where my dvd recorder used
to be listed)
They do have IDE HDD Auto-Detection, and I hit enter on all 4 of them and all 4 of them are set on Auto.

The 80 pin cables are swapped at the motherboard. The hard drives should be your Primary IDE.

Right now we have the CD as the boot drive. It is on the end connector with the Samsung hard drive.

The FuJITSU hard drive is on a cable by itself. If this is the original C:\ you want it to be the Primary Master.

So switch your cables at the mother board.

Let me know what happens. And relax everything is going great!

G ;)

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I did as you said and switched the 2 cable on the mother board, but now in bios my primary master and primary slave says NONE.

I just pulled out my main hard drive which is C and it is a samsung , the Fujitsu is the 2nd hard dirve i have in the computer which i think should be my secondary master, since I do not use very much.

Edited by old momma, 04 August 2005 - 09:11 AM.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Good job!

The reason you are seeing no Primary Master or Primary Slave is the Fujitsu is the only drive on that cable and the jumper setting on the back is set to slave mode. And you have no Slave because there is only one drive on that cable.

Brenda we have no problems at this point! :tazz:

All we have to do is set the Samsung (C:\) as the Primary Master.
This should be the drive you normally boot from, right?
So connect it on the end of one cable. (You can connect the Fujitsu to the same cable.)

Then plug that cable to the Primary IDE connection on the motherboard.

Put the CD on the end of the other cable and plug it into the Secondary IDE.

Reboot.

Your Bios/setup screen should read:

Primary Master Samsung SP0411N
Primary Slave FuJITSU MPE3102AT
Secondary Master CWo38D ATAPI CD-R/RW
Secondary Slave NONE

Unless there are other problems, you should leave the setup screen, and go into Windows.

G ;)

Edited by garyo1954, 04 August 2005 - 09:58 AM.

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I think I did what you said, but there is something I do not understand.
right now it is primary master Fujitsu
primary slave Samsung
secondary master cwo38d atapi cd-r/rw
secondary slave none

now this was the reading a few minutes ago, and I knew you said primary master should be Samsug SO i switch the two around and I STILL have the same reading.
Now that does not make any sense to me, and I am stupid when it comes to computers.I had the C:\ on the end of the cable now it is connected to the middle of the cable but still same readings. I do not understand.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Sorry. Brenda I got tied up....

Here I am!

Okay, will the computer boot?
And can you get to Windows?

You're doing great! :tazz:

G ;)

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I know you have other things to do, it's no problem, I just piddle around here and come back & check to see if anyone has left a reply. No it still says BOOT FROM ATAPI CD-ROM : NOT FOUND... and then it will say DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK & PRESS ENTER, & i do it and the same message just comes right back.

Edited by old momma, 04 August 2005 - 03:15 PM.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Okay! :tazz:

Our drives are straightened out. So we are looking good.

The Boo Disk Failure we can set aside at this point. As I recall you got a new CD with Windows and tried to run it? That may have something to do with the Boot Disk Failure......so let's find out.

If you haven't already, put your CD in the CD drive and startup the computer.

The installation should start.

Did it?

G ;)

Advertisements

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am looking at the bios and the drives are still not right.
primary master None
Primary slave samsung
secondary master cw038d atapi cd-r\rw
secondary slave none

no matter how I put the cables, would not ever put samsumg primary master.
I do have the new cd in and have tried to load it many of times. But I keep getting atpi not found boot disk failure.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Brenda,

I thought we had this?

right now it is primary master Fujitsu
primary slave Samsung
secondary master cwo38d atapi cd-r/rw
secondary slave none

Is everything in your bios is set to Auto?

Can you get back to this setup and save it?

G :tazz:

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
everything is set on auto, but when I rebooted earlier I noticed Primary master is listed none. Samsung is supposed to be the Primary master, but I could not get it to, I switch the cable around on the drives but it would not change the settings. I could not understand why.

right now:
Primary master Fujitsu Primary Slave Samsung
Secondary Master Cwo38d atapi cd-r/rw
secondary slave none

I will try to get the primary master back on again

GOT IT

Edited by old momma, 04 August 2005 - 09:57 PM.

garyo1954

garyo1954

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Okay :tazz:

Are you ready for the rough part?

We are going to have to chage a couple of jumpers on the backs of the hard drive.
Have you ever done this?

G ;)

old momma

old momma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I am ready, I think I know what a jumper is , is it the little black rubber piece that is on the back of the hard drives and you can move them over to change something, I pulled the hard drive out I have it in front of me with the green board facing up I see the little black piece of rubber it is on the 1st set of rods. what do you want me to do now?