Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System cleaned - requires XP SP1 Help

• Please log in to reply

azurdin

azurdin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I am running norton, and a Olympus digital camara program to download pics. Everything seems fine.

The only bad thing is the issue with my sound card that it went away when I downloaded the SP1 (I think)

Advertisements

azurdin

azurdin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Alos my Cd/dvd is not working. It says its not ready?? thanks.

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I am getting some suggestions for you from out Tech Experts as I don't believe this is Malware related.

Will be moving this to their Forum shortly.

Great job, it appears your computer is clean :tazz:

Ensure you rehide your “hidden files and folders” back to the way they were.

Now that your system is Malware Free, it is important to reset your system Restore. Click Here to learn how to.

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs, if you don't already have them, for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:

Ad-aware SE
Spybot S&D
Microsoft Anti-Spyware

If you are unhappy with your current antivirus and want to replace it or if you dont already have one, I suggest one of these free programs:
*Note - do not use more than one anti-virus program as it will more than likely cause conflict.

AVG
Avast
AntiVir

The following free programs are great for prevention:

SpywareBlaster 3.4
Spywareguard
IE/Spyad

A Firewall is a must! Here are 3 good free versions:
(do not have more than one firewall running on your system)

Sygate
Kerio
ZoneLabs

There are other options other than Internet Explorer for a browser, which some say have better security. Two of them are:

Firefox
Opera

If you decide to keep Internet Explorer, This site is a great source for tightening up security on It's settings.

Make sure that you keep your Operating System and IE updated with the latest Critical Security Updates from Microsoft...they usually come out once a month, on the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

Included in those updates is Windows XP Service Pack 2. Click Here
Since you're junkware free, the time to get it is NOW. Service Pack 2 is a MAJOR upgrade for XP. It adds numerous security and software patches, as well as new features and functionality. You will also be adding another layer of protection against future threats.

Be sure and give the Temp folders a cleaning out now and then as well, Make sure after you clean your Temp files to empty out your Recycle bin as well.
For ease use the following program:

Cleanup
Run "Cleanup" and when it has finished, Reboot

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided. Also read How I got Infected

azurdin

azurdin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
How do I know under what post this issue will be posted under. Thanks.

Geraldyne

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
I will just move this one ;) if it comes that.

:tazz:

Excal

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Geraldine

Excal informs me you're having problems with your sound, right?

Can you just confirm for me the following :
have you installed SP2 yet?
are you still having problems with your CDROM drive?
have you noticed any other problems or abnormalities?

BTW, it's insanely late here in England (or insanely early, depending on how you look at it), so I'm off to bed now. If you could answer these points I've raised, I will get back to you tomorrow.

Regards
Samm

azurdin

azurdin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi Samm
No I have not installed SP2yet. everything else is fine, just the sound and the cd/dvd are not working.

azurdin

azurdin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
hi excal,

you asked me to do a system restore, well i dont see a User Administrator set up on my computer so I cant see the tab "system restore"

how can I restore this then?

thanks

azurdin

azurdin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Never Mind Excal, i found it.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi again

Can you let me know if you have reset the restore yet? I think it may be advisable to do this before we make any more changes!

Can you go into device manager (right click on My Computer, then Properties->hardware->device manager)
Locate the branch called 'sound, video, games controllers' & click on the + sign to expand it.

Let me know what you see listed there. Also let me know if any of the entries have a yellow exclaimation mark (!) or a red cross on them.

Next, can you tell me if you see a speaker icon (volume control) in the system tray, next to the clock.
If you don't see it, go to control panel->sounds & audio devices and make sure the 'place volume icon in taskbar' checkbox is checked.
If this option isn't available or greyed out, let me know

Advertisements

azurdin

azurdin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi Samm
I am trying to download the SP2, but the windows download stays just "checking for the latest update downloads" and it never comes back to tell me what updates I need.

azurdin

azurdin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
devise_manager1.JPG sound_audio1.JPG Hi Samm

Here is the info you asked for:
thanks.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

OK, thanks for the screen shots, they're really useful. Can you go back into device manager, and double click on the YAMAHA AC-XG Audio device entry. This will open the properties for that device. In there you should see an error message explaining why there is a yellow (!) on that device, let me know what it says please.

As for the SP2 update, there are 2 ways of getting sp2: one is by using windows update in MS's website, the other is by turning on automatic updates in windows. The latter should automatically download SP2 when turned on.

If its the first method you have been using, then try the second method instead :
Go to control panel->Performance & Maintenance (switch to category view if you can't see it)
Click on System->Automatic updates tab
Tick the checkbox to enable automatic updates then select the first option 'notify me before download & before installing'

I suggest you do this before we attempt to fix the sound problem. If you haven't done so already, I also recommend you create a system restore point prior to installing SP2, just in case!