Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 Install Fail on Win98SE

• Please log in to reply

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Are there any advantages in trying one (or combination) of the following:
1. Change attribues (of old installation) in safe mode?
2. Change attributes in DOS window?
3. Change attributes in DOS mode?
4. Other way?
How about installing ver 6?

Thanks.

JR

Edited by jollyr, 13 September 2005 - 05:23 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jollyr...

Go to Add/Remove programs and see if this patch is listed...KB823559.

If it is, remove it, reboot, and try installing IE 6 again.

wannabe1

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi wannabe1,

Will try this later today (problem is with home computer).

Will post again after checking.

Thanks.

JR

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi wannabe1,

Well, the KB you suggested I delete was not installed so I changed all of the attributes in the c:\program files\internet explorer folder (and subfolders) to -s -h -r, rebooted and tried the IE6 install. (per advice given by tyger in post 15)

No go. Same problem happened.

What on earth could be blocking the install?

JR

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jollyr...

Have you uninstalled a Symantec (Norton) product lately?

Do other applications install ok?

I'm wondering if we may have to reregister the Windows installer...Post back with the above information.

wannabe1

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi wannabe1,

I had NAV 2003 on it, but now use AVG free ver.

Other programs have successfully installed. e.g. Civ III and other games plus some anti-spyware programs (recommeded in GTG malware removal section)

JR

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jollyr....

Let's reregister the Windows Installer anyway...it won't hurt anything and it just might help...

Click Start and then Run type msiexec /unregister (Note the space before /) and click "Ok".
Your computer will not display any message if you typed the command correctly. If you see a message or error of any sort, check your spelling then repeat this step.

Click Start and then Run type msiexec /regserver (Note the space before /) and click "Ok".
Again, your computer will not display any message if you typed the command correctly. If you see a message or error of any sort, check your spelling then repeat this step.

Let me know how you fare...

wannabe1

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
wannabe1,

OK. (Sorry about the delay, was running WIN XP and had to wrap up a few things before rebooting into win98)

Here's something new... when I booted into Win98, I opened IE5 and the Windows Update site opened. I ran the scan and it suggested I install IE6 SP1! So I did and it tried to install IE6 and I got the same failed install. The interesting thing here is that the Windows Update site said that IE6 SP1 installed successfully! Is this significant?

Anyway, I reregistered the Windows Installer, per your instructions. Entered commands and no messages resulted.

This is as far as I went.

Shall I try to reinstall from the downloaded files or run windows update again? (or something else?)

I appreciate your help.

JR

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jollyr...

Start your IE bowser and click "Help" on the toolbar and choose "About Internet Explorer"...what version does it say it is?

wannabe1

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
wannabe1,

Version: 5.00.2614.3500
Cipher Strength: 128-bit
Product ID: 55736-809-9083636-04756
Update Versions:;q240308;q313829

JR

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you try to install from the website, are you choosing "Save" or "Run" in the download dialog box?

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Not sure. Don't think the option is offered. I think it installs itself through the Windows Update website. A download window does not open.

23:00 update - went back to windows update site. Selected IE6 sp1 and downloaded it. The window that popped up next stated: Resume Windows Update: Internet Explorer and Intenet Tools.

after this I had the option to resume setup of to run setup from beginning (it stated that this option should be used if setup has failed more than once). Have tried both options but get same result.

Edited by jollyr, 13 September 2005 - 09:01 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jollyr...

Go HERE, click "Download", and when you get the download dialog box, choose the "Run" option.

Let me know if this helps...I'v run into this problem before with other applications...not with IE, though. Let's see what happens.

wannabe1

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
wannabe1,

Downloaded IE6 sp1 and ran typical install. got same failure at 4% install progress.

Kinda frustrating, don't you think?

JR

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yeah...and it's a challenge....I like a good challenge.

Do you have Firefox?