Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a graphics card

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

one thing tho, when i do get it to boot up it finds a new video card (the one the computer came with) and reinstalls the driver for it, so i am led to beleive the hardware is still in there

Actually, the bios looks for whichever video card is present... either on-board, or PCI. It found the on-board, so windows loaded the driver.

What we needed your bios to do was "disable" your on-board video card. Did you see an option to "disable" it. Maybe there are two entries in the bios pertaining to video choices.

Try checking your bios again just to make sure. If you can "disable" the onboard, perhaps it will then detect the AGP slot card even if the only other option in the bios is PCI.

makai

Advertisements

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
nope there is nothing there to disable it, underneath the primary video adapter is "onboard video memory size" that list 4 different amounts of memory, would i have to change that to different values currently it is set to "8mb/0mb/120mb/128mb"

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

nope there is nothing there to disable it, underneath the primary video adapter is "onboard video memory size" that list 4 different amounts of memory, would i have to change that to different values currently it is set to "8mb/0mb/120mb/128mb"

Truthfully, I don't know the answer to this.

Go to HP and see if you can track down your machine using your asset tag information. Then check if they have a bios update, and if they do, read what has been corrected in the update. Other than that, you'll probably have to wait til Monday and call HP to ask them why you can't install an AGP card although you have a slot for one.

Wish I could have been of more help! :tazz:

makai

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
last thing for tonight if you are still on, i think i may be closer

i figured out how to disable the old graphics card that was previously installed,

now for the first time i was able to reboot with the updated drivers for the radeon. now when i reboot it goes to the desktop, except i can only see a smaller version or my backround and i cannot see any of the icons that were on my desktop. i tried to open the control panel and it acts like the window opened but i cannot see that either, when i click on the maximize or move buttons it looks like it is going to the left of the screen like its there but just not visible

does this sound familiar at all to you?

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
it seems to think that i have two monitors connected, how do i fix that?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What kind of monitor do you have? Hopefully it's an LCD. Sometimes the monitor controls will allow you to automatically adjust the image.

Other than that, if you can get into Display properties/Settings/Advanced... choose the Displays tab... then select your monitor tab... and make sure Scale image to panel size is checked. (this is for LCD monitors, by the way)

makai

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
bump

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
bump

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
also the distortion happens only when i have the blue connector connected to the video card, it work normally when i have it connected to the old one

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
my old graphics card drivers keep getting reinstalled by windows how do i make that stop?

im so beyond frustrated with this stupid video card

Advertisements

eastrise15

eastrise15

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
bump