Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling win98

• Please log in to reply

Hollywood

Hollywood

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A number of years back our office had Dell computers. One of them messed up and had corrupted files and a tech had me put the win98se cd in and go to 'run' and type

?:setup win98se_\??/d

something like this. I can't remember what to type in, but it just like reloaded all the windows files without doing anything to the data and files that were already there. Kinda like just overlaid win98 ontop of what was there fixing the problem.

My question, is I can't find what to type to do that again on my other computer that has some problems. I really don't want to take the time to format and do a clean install, it's kids play computer. Can anyone help me out here and tell me how to do this again?

Thanks
Hollywood~

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Just go to the top of this forum where it says "Reinstall win98 without losing your data" and follow the instructions.

Hollywood

Hollywood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
With all due respect,......I read that "Before" I posted. That is not what I asked. To me to go through all of what that says, it would be just as easy to "wipe it out" re-format and run a clean install which is what I don't want to do. Reinstalling drivers and all.

I will keep looking for the way I was talking about that I have done before, I just don't remember what to type in the run box.

Thanks
Hollywood~

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you don't want to go through all that just copy and paste the entire win98 folder from the CD into your C: drive. Have your Product Key handy. You can take the CD out at this time. Go to the win98 folder in C: and open setup. It should reinstall windows without losing your files or programs. I've done it a couple of times without a problem but I don't know your system or what kind of CD you have.