Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which browser is better? IE or Firefox?

• Please log in to reply

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

As far as cons go, well you cant use firefox for active x applications such as microsoft updates, but to solve that just make sure autoupdate is turned on if your using XP. I guess another con is that some websites are IE specific but they are few and far between. Other than that, which to me, those really arent that bad, there arent any cons to firefox.

Just to add a little to this if I may.

The only con i really see in using firefox, is not being able to use on-line virus scans.

But they have even been able to straighten that out a little.

Housecall Java Online Scan<---For those who use Firefox

Other than that I find it a superior browser to IE and I for one will never go back to that prehistoric creature. Multi tabbed browsing is the way to go. :tazz:

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Firefox is superior comparing to IE.. Well obviously, if you think about it:
Most of the online scans needs ActiveX which won't work on other browsers than IE. As John pointed out, there's an Java based solution for that..
And the new WindizUpdate is great. As for the sites which won't work in other browsers than IE.. I think I have never even needed one (Except windowsupdates earlier).

So far, I haven't got any need to run IE for anything. It's basically useless for me.

Moose78

Moose78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

I too encountered that error when trying to scan my computer after installing the plug-in. Try clearing out your Internet history, cookies and temporary Internet files, restart Firefox, and have another go at WindizUpdate - that should fix up the problem alright.

View Post

:tazz:

retrac

retrac

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
Does Firefox have the same type of Cookie control that you have in IE ???

I know what sites i want to allow cookies and everyone else is totally blocked.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Tools -> Options -> Privacy -tab -> Cookies -> "Ask me every time when a site wants to set a cookie"..

I use it that way. If you know which sites you want to set cookies, just go to the site and allow them once it asks you to. You can deny whatever cookies you want to. You can also do it like this:
Copy the Address to the "Exceptions" box in the cookies section, click "Allow".

Hope this is what you needed.

- Rawe :tazz:

Edited by Rawe, 18 August 2005 - 04:39 AM.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

I use Opera 8. Is this worse than Firefox in you guys opinion? should I change to firefox?

View Post

Opera is a fine browser indeed. I use Firefox as well as opera. Firefox can be configured to look and feel exactly like opera if you install and use the right extensions. To me personally there isn't much difference between the two with the exception of the ads in Opera if you don't liscense the product as opposed to Firefox which is open source, freeware and Ad free. So in conclusion using Internet Explorer and are using either Firefox or Opera or, like me BOTH you are 1 step closer to having a secure machine.

Golden_warrior_o9

Golden_warrior_o9

• Pip
  • 3 posts
There is no true "best" browser. It is all a matter of your specific needs and preferances.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Well you dug up an OLD thread phybryr, back from August 16, 2005 hehe ye' old necromancer :)

While I'm here though, Firefox has pretty bad memory management at the moment I heard that FF3 beta was better though, to answer the 2 year old question that they probably figured out by now, There is a FF extension called IE tab for anything needing IE's rendering engine...

Edited by Suerte, 04 March 2008 - 03:24 PM.