Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

yet another wireless problem

• Please log in to reply

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
well sorry about not responding earlier ive been school shopping for my kids... thank u space cowboy for saying what u did,. to be honest i did feel a bit silly after what torr said. but oh well, im a stay at home mom with a newborn and 2 teen agers , and my time is... well u can imagine. so that combined with being "that"computer illiterate is pretty bad. i guess thats what prompted me to look up this site to begin with. ive been on tech support, and again last nite and they tried to manually configure the system it didnt work and i had to stop (baby was crying) i know i must sound silly but i was trying to give any and all info i had and was trying to state what i had done thus far. any help is appreciated and im not all that fragile either to recieving some helpful "friendly" advice. *hmmmmm tries to think of a high school computer geek to call*

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Alright Chicklet... I need you to clear up your exact problem for me so we can get you fixed up... You made some conflicting statements, that need some clarification before we can procede: :tazz:

Part 1
In the begining of your post you said "i have been trying for 3 months now, in my spare time , to get our [ ps2 ] online"
In the end of your post you restate your problem as something different: " the operating system on the main computer is windows xp and the operating system on the downstairs computer is windows 98se"

Question:
Are we trying to get a desktop computer to connect wirelessly to the router upstairs or are we trying to get a Playstation 2 to connect wirelessly to the router upstairs?

Part 2
What troubleshooting you have already tried, with no success: "anyhow we live in the basement to my parents and they have a main computer upstairs i bought a [ dlink ] wireless router so we can have internet down here"

" i phoned the [ linksys ] tech support and he said i needed a straight thru cord"

Here you state you have purchased a Dlink router but in the next statement you say you have called Linksys tech support :)

Question:
Who manufactured the Router (Linksys or D-Link). Please include the Model number in your reply.

I will be on the forum until about 7:00pm Central Standard time (Another 30 minutes) and then I will be back on again tonight about 10 or 11 PM.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
sorry for being confusing lol , ok, lemme try and answer your questions one by one. ok first of all i had windows 98se but just purchased a new dell and use xp now. that new dell desktop is downstairs and is already connected with dlink wireless router DI-524 air plus g, to the computer upstairs. we are also trying to get the ps2 downstairs hooked up to a wireless so we can go online with it. for that future shop suggested the linksys wireless b game adapter wga11b to connect with the computer upstairs. i had my brother in law,(semi-geek) try to set it up, and didnt work...i talked to future shop , they said to set up dlink to accept "b""(linksys), but i dont know how, then they said that it should already be compatible, i phoned dlink tech support they tried to walk me thru it then ended up saying i needed a strait thru cord ..... back tofuture shop i go.... now they say to bring dlink router and they will swap it for linksys.... so.....back home... unhook dlink ..go back to future shop, nowa different guy, says no, they should be compatiible and wont switch.....back home... rehookup dlink and taaadaaa! dads compter wont work...so in tears i call dlink support, they try a few things then tell me that un plugging a card inside the computerand putting it in another slot may work.. soo with my heart in my throat i get a screw driver and do just that .. with my dad trying not to look.. and yay it works phew. anyway ive been scared to try anything new now and *sigh* that brings me to now , oh ya i contacted linksys support online 2 nights ago and they tried to manually config things by showing me how to enter ip adress and other numbers but that didnt work so there is something confusing things and i dont know what it is, i wish i could switch to a linksys router like that one guy said to do but its been a few weeks now and i dont think they will oblige. .........ok, i think i answered everything .. if i missed anything let me know and ill try and find out... thank u so much

Edited by canadianchicklet, 01 September 2005 - 02:05 AM.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
torr, You might have to connect an external antenna to your d-link wireless router, im using a d-link and without the antenna the signal sucks. Try downloading a program called netstumbler which will give you a graphical display of your signal strength, so you can position and point your antennas for maximum signal.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
ok i downloaded it and its picking up one wireless signal, then i set up the linksys wireless adapter and it still only picks up one signal which is for the dlink router but nothing for the linksys adapter, i will try the external antenna tho,( im assuming they sell that at the dreaded future) shop thank u for your advice:)

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
netstumbler will only pick your dlink router, if you click on the + in the left hand pane, next to your ap name and then click on the green dot, it will give you a real-time graph of the signal strength of your wireless router, you can use this to find dead spots (spots where there is no signal or weak signal) as for the antenna, you can get one on ebay for about 10-15 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

i use this one and it works great

Edited by todd333, 02 September 2005 - 08:01 AM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry so long on the reply.. i have a busy schedule also... We will start with connecting the Playstation 2 - since that is the easier of the two problems..

Follow these steps first, (SOLUTION 1)

A. Plug the included Ethernet network cable into the Game Adapter’s LAN port.

B. Plug the other end of the Ethernet network cable into your game console’s RJ-45 port.

C. Verify that the Game Adapter’s crossover (X - II) switch is set appropriately. If the Game Adapter is not transmitting or receiving data appropriately, try flipping the switch to its other setting. Your setting is the "X" position.. if that donw work try the ll position.

D. Plug the supplied power cable into the Game Adapter’s Power port. Then, plug the other end into an electrical outlet, preferably a surge protector.

E. Start your game console.

The Game Adapter can be set up by holding down the Channel Selector button until it flashes and then clicking the button to cycle to the appropriate setting on the LED display. Appropriate Settings:

When playing Head-to-Head: Set both Game Adapters to the same channel, 1-11.

When playing over the Internet: Set the Game Adapter to IN when using a simple wireless network with no WEP encryption settings and SSID enabled.

If these steps dont get you going then try Solution 2 as follows(Includes WEP Setup)(and includes setting up profiles for wireless connection):

To configure the WGA11B for use on your exiting wireless network, follow these steps, and please make sure that any software firewalls are disabled: (you will have to hook the game adapter up directly to your router - just move it upstairs temporarily)

1. Unplug the power cord from the WGA11B.

2. Using a straight-through Ethernet UTP patch cable, plug one end into the WGA11B Network port, and the other end into your network router, switch, or hub (not the UPLINK port). Move the switch on the WGA11B to the “||” setting.

3. Plug the power cord back into the WGA11B. If there is a connection, the Ethernet light should turn on and be lit continuously.

If the Ethernet light does not turn on, try moving the switch on the WGA11B to the other setting and repeat Step 3.

4. Insert the WGA11B Setup Wizard CD-ROM disc. The Setup Utility program should automatically start.

If the Setup program does not automatically start, click on the Start button, and select the Run option. Type d:\setup.exe and click OK or press the [Enter] key (where “d” is the drive letter of your computer’s CD-ROM drive; change this letter if needed).

5. On the main WGA11B “Welcome” screen, click the Setup button.

6. The Setup Wizard will search and attempt to find the WGA11B.

If the Wizard cannot find the WGA11B, you will be prompted to check your connections. Repeat Steps 1, 2, and 3 and click Continue.

7. Once located, the Setup Wizard will show the current settings of the WGA11B. Click Next to continue.

8. You will be prompted for the WGA11B password. Type admin and press the [Enter] key (admin is the default password).

9. On the “Basic Settings” screen, you can change the IP address configuration of the WGA11B. By default, Specify an IP Address is selected, with the IP address of 192.168.1.225 chosen by default for the WGA11B. Click Next to continue. You can change the IP address to suit your network-numbering scheme or(CHOOSE THIS OPTION) select Obtain an IP Address automatically to allow the WGA11B to get an IP address from your router or DHCP server.

10. The next screen will allow you to configure the first of three (3) different profile configurations for the WGA11B (Profile 1). Each profile can be configured differently, useful if the WGA11B is used at various locations that require different settings. The settings for each profile are:

Mode: The network mode setting.

Internet: Infrastructure configuration, when using a Wireless Router or Access Point.

Head to Head: Ad-hoc configuration, when using the WGA11B in a peer-to-peer wireless network environment with multiple WGA11B units.

SSID: The SSID value for your wireless router or wireless access point. If using a Linksys Wireless Router or Access Point that is still configured to default settings, the SSID will be linksys.

WEP: The wireless WEP encryption option. You can select Disabled, 64-bit WEP, or 128-bit WEP depending on Your network configuration.

Passphrase: WEP encryption passphrase. Should be used only when using a Linksys-brand Wireless Router or Access Point.

Key: When not using the Passphrase option, you must enter the wireless network’s hexadecimal WEP key manually (10-characters in length when using 64-bit WEP, 26-characters in length when using 128-bit WEP).

After you have added the correct profile for the "wireless mode""and selected that mode as the active mode" unplug the game adapter - move it back downstairs and plug in the ethernet cable from the PS2 to the Game adapter (Make sure the ps2 is turned off first). Plug in power to the game adapter... wait about 30 seconds then turn on the PS2. If you are not able to connect now please reply bacjk and let me know..

NOTE*
there are some games that will only support the Official Sony
Network Adapter. Hopefully the game manual will mention if a particular
game does not support a 3rd party Network Adapter.

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
yay!!!! ok we have online gaming downstairs!!!!!!!!! but... lol oh ya thank u thank u thank u first off!!! however when the ps2 is connected then the computer gets disconnected (down) a message with a exclamation pops up as soon as the ps2 goes online that says Windows system error ... IP address conflict with another system on the network... but if thats the way it has to be then thats ok im just happy to be able to have the ps2 connected down here after all this time:) :) :tazz: :) :) i have a couple more of your suggestions to try however, on the computer upstairs so we will see how it goes

Edited by canadianchicklet, 02 September 2005 - 01:58 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
That is odd that shouldn't happen... the other downstairs pc going offline....

Is it connected to the wireless game adapter in some manner (IE...ethernet cable)?

Did you select "Obtain Ip Addresss Automatically" in the configurration or did you use the static IP option ? Sounds like static Ip assignment is incorrect at first glance (Like the Desktop and the PC are assigned the same ip addres = 192.168.1.103 ETC...)

Have to check this out be back in a bit....