Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloading SP1a

• Please log in to reply

AlphaCentarus

AlphaCentarus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I posted this in a different forum, but didn't get any replies. I'll try here.

I am trying to prepare my computer as described on your sight before posting specific problems. Step Three instructs me to to install SP1a for my XP system. When I click the "download SP1a" link in step three I am directed to Microsoft. Under the topic "installing SP1a" I select Express instalation. I am directed to a Microsoft updates page and it then goes to a page that says it is checking my computer for the latest version of Windoes update software. It then sends me to the Welcome to Microsoft Updates page and presents me with the choices Express or Custom. I select Express and it then starts a page which says "Checking for latest updates on your computer. The next page is a "Express results page". It lists 18 updates and has a button to install updates. None of the updates on the list say SP1a.
I'm pretty sure it is not already on my computer because I have dial up and I don't think I would have forgot about a 3 hour download. How do I check if I have it and is there a more direct way to get SP1a for free?
Thanks

Here is a copy of another post I think belongs here

I looked at a toic posted by mtex and there was a link to SP1a download there. I downloaded and saved a file but it was only 2 megs. I thought SP1a was much larger. Do you think that I should try to install this file? It seemed to be from Microsoft.

Edited by AlphaCentarus, 18 August 2005 - 02:36 PM.

Advertisements

Chachazz

Chachazz

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
You are in the general software program updates forum -
This post will be moved to the WindowsXP forum - please be patient -
assistance will arrive! :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > programs > accessories > system tools > system info . the second line should be version..it will tell you what sp youre running

AlphaCentarus

AlphaCentarus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did some checks and it says I have sevice pack 0.0
I'll keep trying to find the download and try to stay in the proper forums, since I seem to be forum navigation impaired. :tazz:

Thanks for the replies.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...p1/network.mspx