Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Packard Bell/Multimedia Pack 1.0

• Please log in to reply

WinTopaz

WinTopaz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My son received this PC free. Packard Bell/Microsoft Multimedia Pack 1.0. My problem is that the hard drive or cd rom isn't reconizing the software and will not let me install anything. I keep getting a screen that reads:AMIBIOS © 1992 American Mega Trends Inc., BIOS Version 1.00.07.BCOR, 008192KB, press F1 if you want to run setup, Keyboard - Detected, Mouse - Detected, Hard Disk C: installed ST3491A, non system disk or disk error. I have tried the F1 key to no avail. :D <_< :D Thanks WinTopaz

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
First thing, try a new battery in the motherboard. Look for a nickle sized watch style battery. You should be able to buy one anyplace that sells batteries.

WinTopaz

WinTopaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, I took the computer completely apart and I found nothing that looked like any form of a battery. Everything on the motherboard has been soldered to the board. I even checked under the motherboard and there was nothing. I've check every item in the PC for a battery and found nothing. Any other suggestion?? :D <_< :D :D Thanks WinTopaz

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Posted Image
Fig. 1 Example of a typical motherboard battery

Posted Image
Fig. 2 Example of barrel style battery.

Do you maybe have Figure 2? If so, I'd probably just discard the computer. <_<

To confirm the battery is dead, attach a volt meter. You should see around 3 volts.

You could try locating another motherboard, or soldering in a battery, but I wouldn't recommend either.

WinTopaz

WinTopaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:D :D Thanks a million for the pics. They helped greatly. You were correct, as to the battery being bad. There dosen't seem to be anyone around that carries a new mother board for this year and model without it costing more than it is worth. So thanks again. WinTopaz :D <_<

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
but i woudl wecomend staying away from even free packard bells, they suck! i had one for 5 years, had to reformate HD 20+ times, no joke, and it pretty much has no upgrade capebiltys and tech support sucks, they are jerks, sorry about ranting, lol

WinTopaz

WinTopaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your input. After everything I can believe it. They apparently didn't make them to last. <_<