Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

any household tips

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, if we are now doing cooking here, which I think is great, perhaps we could extend that to household tips to both save time and money, most people do the same chores in different ways.

I go first:

1)I find pure lemon juice for ivory works great (for pianno keys, etc.)
2) a little oil and salt mixed together then rub on a wood surface(salt cleans while old gives back shine and life to surface.
3)while changing the bedding pass the hover over the matress.
4) Orenge peal in a clean old odd sock kills any instects in the drawer.
5) newspapers work well when dampened rubbed of window panes.

There must be millions of others but as I said one can't know them all so please contribute.

Edited by fleamailman, 22 August 2005 - 06:00 AM.

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
When you have sticky marks on your skin from band-aids etc.

Try wiping a cotton ball with a little "baby oil" on the area and it will wipe clean without the scrubbing or leaving red marks.

"O"

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can get your hands on it...liquid nitrogen is excellent at getting rid of ants

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Baby oil anda soft cloth is the best for all those steel appliances(especially big fridges and freezers.

Pete^2

Pete^2

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
When you are out shopping or on the beach, knot some string around he chidrens' wrists. If you pull the string back in and it's empty, dial 999/911

:tazz:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sililar but serious, if your child won't speak to you in your language(the usual internatioal marrage problem) play this game: "If I say a word in xxxx language I will give you 1franc and if you say a word you'll give me one" then play to lose each day about enough money for a treat such as fizzy drink; the child after a week of pratice will then only speak to you in that language whereas just refusing to speak in xxxx, or commanding the child to speak your language builds up resentment.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
If your eyes hurt and you like tea, then remove the teabag while still hottish, drink the tea as normal but place the teabag in turn on each eye for a few moments, this not only clears the grease but circulates the blood too.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and gets dar-jee-ling in your tear duct...SWEET!!

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
As I just mentioned tea works wonders on your eyes but yes, one should strain the teabag before placing it on ones eyes. It is normally the grease that collects around the tear duct that is painful and sticky to the touch, this tip supprised me too me once I tried it.....

Other tips for ailments:
Gargol with a glass of water with some salt added, disinfects the throat.
If your stomach is playing up, try drinking coka cola,
If you have the runs, try eating a banana.

Edited by fleamailman, 25 August 2005 - 06:46 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Gargol?

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry, my spelling was always bad and, of the lot, I think English is probably the hardest language to spell in(though French has a lot of hard words too), German and Spanish are easier I admit whereas Japanese is a mix of systems and a real bain to write in though I am afraid I couldn't really comment on any other language since I don't know them well. Geneva's rightwing is just now advocating the removal of English words from the signboards we see, and its removal from the media too, but that is good in one way in that it will encourage the youth here is learn English out of resentment for those who push these type of things upon them.

Once again, sorry in advance for the spelling, no doubt I will make more mistakes because it certainly isn't easy.