Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Linux to a different partition

• Please log in to reply

uzername

uzername

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi folks...

I just wanted to find out something about permanently installing Linux (Ubutntu) onto one of my harddrives....I have two HHDs on my PC, one (40GB-fully partitioned) which only has my Windows XP Professional, games and my apps installed on it. I have another 80GB that I use for my files (documents, mp3s, etc...). The secondary HDD has 2 partitions (20GB and 60GB) on it and I use one partition for work/study and the other for personal stuff.

Now for my question(s)

A) Is it possible to create a new partition on the 40GB hard drive without having to format it & re-install EVERYTHING?

B) If I install Linux on anyone of my other partitions (on my other harddrive), will I still be able to access my documents and music?

---I ask this because I tried two live CDs (Knoppix and Morphix), and in Knoppix my harddrives were right there on the desktop, but when I tried Morphix I couldn't seem to locate them :) :

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :tazz:

U_N

Edited by uzername, 03 September 2005 - 04:20 AM.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go
Yes it can noraly be done when installing with out affecting what you allreay have. If you don't feal save doing that, you can get Paritition Magic which is a very good program to do it with a grafical interface.

You first partiton on you first hard drive will show as /dev/hda1 and the second partition /dev/hda2 and so on unless you have a logical partition in which you might have a /dev/hda4 for your second partition. On your second hard drive the first partition will be /dev/hdb1. You might alreay know this but is might be usefull for those that do not.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 05 September 2005 - 05:41 AM.