Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Average Response time?

• Please log in to reply

gmg

gmg

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey all...I'm new as of this morning and absolutely at my WIT'S END w/ Win Fixer 2005. I posted a plea for help on the malware forums a couple of hours ago and have yet to hear back from anyone. I couldn't help but notice that there are newer, similar topics that have already been addressed, so I was wondering if anyone knows what is the general way they go about answering questions. I also wonder if I posted incorrectly...is there some secret to making sure your post is accessible to helpers?

Thanks to anyone w/ comments/suggestions...hopefully I'll hear back on getting rid of this darn thing before I just give up and chuck it right out the window!

:tazz: :) :)

Thanks
GMG

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Generally (not always), it should take less than a day for you to get a response to your query. At least - that's how it has always been for me.

Of course, to make sure that you get the most accurate information in the least possible amount of time, you should always tell the staff, as clearly and with as many details as you can, what your problem is, what you have already tried to do to resolve it, et cetera. If you are just going to write something like 'MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING SLOW PLZ HELP!!!!1111' and leave it like that, chances are you won't be getting a reply anytime soon - simply because potential helpers have no idea what it is that is causing your computer to run slow, when it happened, or what you did to make it happen, and therefore have no way to help you.

Of course, if you have stated out your issue in clear readable English and have spared no details on elaborating what has happened/been done to your system, and are still not getting replies, just head on here and let your problem be known. Note - only use the link if you haven't had a single reply in FIVE days.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello and welcome to GeeksToGo. :tazz:

There are different methods that each of us use in choosing topics to respond to. Some of us only work on threads that are at least three days old or older, so we can try to make sure no one slips through the cracks.
Some Staffers work on only newer threads, to help keep them from falling behind.
Still others choose their topics based on the infections they are most comfortable with.
Yet others are the Experts who develop the tools and fixes we use. They are on the lookout for the newest infections, or new variations on old infections, so that they can help test their work and make it ready for us to use on everyone.

The most important thing is for you to NOT "bump" your topic by making posts to it after the initial one. ALL of us look for topics to work on based on those with "no replies". If you have bumped your thread, you WILL get overlooked, though not intentionally. We filter our search for zero replies so we don't have to wade through pages and pages of logs already being worked on.

Someone will get to you soon, I promise you. :)

gmg

gmg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you both for your replies and answers! I am most willing to wait, especially when the Geek Squad quoted me a rather ridiculous price to fix this problem!

Thanks!
:tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
We'll be fixing you here free of charge, and you can bet that you will be receiving some of the best, most professional help you'll find anywhere! :tazz:

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I think this is just a little ridiculous... I've found a post from September 2nd on PAGE 64!!! of the malware forums with 0 replies... and a thread on page 1 of the same forum, with a response time of three minutes...!!!

What's wrong with this picture...???

I know it's free help and everything... but doesn't that seem just a little unfair?

In fact, I posted a topic last night... and quite a few topics posted after mine got picked up already.

I guess some guys are just luckier than others... :-(

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
That can depend on many things.

Our experts have to keep on top of the latest logs to find the newest infections. If they find a post on the first page that looks like it has something new, they will tackle it.

Also, we have some trusted helpers who are not comfortable with different infections. They will sometimes skip the infections they are unfamiliar with so that someone who is used to the process can get to it.

Be patient, your time will come. If it gets overlooked for 3 days, post in the not getting help in 3 days thread.

ScHwErV :tazz:

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Also, the person who posted on the 2nd, is able to post in the not getting help thread. If they do not, then they might have answered their own question, or gotten help elsewhere.

One of the problems is that people, being in a rush, will ask for help at multiple forums. The first one to respond, gets to help the person. We cannot tell who does this, so we made the not getting help in 3 days thread. That way people who still need help, can get it.

ScHwErV :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The reality is that sometimes demand outstrips supply. We often can't help everyone that comes here for help. The fact that there are 64 pages of posts in 5 days should give you an indication. So we have the 3 days without a reply pinned topic to help those still waiting for assistance. As mentioned above, the Geek Squad will glady come to your house for $219 and do the same thing we offer for free. :tazz:

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Yes, of course, you're probably right...

And then again, maybe... just maybe... some - or many - of the helpers just can't be bothered to go back to page 46 to check if maybe... just maybe... some topic has been overlooked...

Could that also make sense...? ;-)

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Please feel free to put your money where your mouth is. Sign up for GeekU, we can always use the help. Especially, to look for those posts we may have missed on page 46. :tazz:

P.S. Looking at your old posts, it looks like we were able to help you a couple of times. :)

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I guess if I could help, I wouldn't be here asking for it, now, would I...? :tazz:

And I have, in fact, put my money where my mouth is... I've already donated for the quality help I received... :)

However, should you need anything translated to French, I'll gladly contribute... :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

And then again, maybe... just maybe... some - or many - of the helpers just can't be bothered to go back to page 46 to check if maybe... just maybe... some topic has been overlooked...

View Post

Actually, we DO go back that far. For most of us, when we look for logs to reply to, we filter the Malware forum according to oldest and open...ZERO reply topics first. Which means that your page 46 is darn near to page 1 for us. As stated above by myself and the other two Admins who have replied here....each of us may choose different types of infections, or have different ways of going about choosing our logs. But you can bet that we do everything in our power to NOT "overlook" anyone. We try very hard to keep up.

buildreamcb

buildreamcb

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have to admit I was a little dissapointed when it took over 2 days to get a reply after 19 hits :tazz: I then realized how busy these forums are and how savvy the staff is.
Within 5 hrs. of troubleshooting, due to my inexperience, my PC was cleaned with help from one of the staff members at GTG.

I had a malware problem, thanks to my son, and was very impressed with the handling and process it took to solve my problem.

Keep up the good work, everyone involved with GTG.

Special thanks to Loophole!!!

I donated to Katrina Relief on your behalf.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
One thing I would like to point out....95% of the "page views" everyones' threads receive are NOT from Staff members. Those count all the other members with similar problems who look at your topics trying to help themselves, as well as all the literally *thousands* of guests we get every day searching for the same answers.

So if your thread has no replies yet but tons of views...rest assured knowing where those views are coming from! :tazz: