Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

by far the worst computer ever

• Please log in to reply

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
no such luck

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think the site may be having problems...I can't even get their page to load at the moment.

Ok...they're up again...try this one AVG7

Edited by wannabe1, 16 September 2005 - 11:37 AM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
fourth time's a charm? again, not working..

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try it again...I gave you the wrong link last time..... :) ...I edited, but I think you beat me to it. Try link in my last post again..... :tazz:

Edited by wannabe1, 16 September 2005 - 11:39 AM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
got it! it's updated and scanning as of now.. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I love it when a plan comes together!!! :)

Let me know if the System File Checker fixes the disk defragger...if it does, it's off to the Malware Forum... :tazz:

wannabe1

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i posted the log in the malware forum..

no disk defragmenter though...

i'm excited--it's running like a REAL computer now..

question, is norton good for my computer, or should i try one of the other antivirus softwares you've been suggesting for her computer.. and what is ewido-what kind of software is it i mean?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Chiming in again...that is the kind of user I would put with Norton. Fix all the security settings, password protect it, and don't tell her what the password is.

Johanna

ps Wannabe1- I think you already are one! You and CharZar did a great job working together to fix this one! My hat's off to you both.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi charZar...

Ewido, as the name implies, is a security suite. What sets it apart from the others is that it protects your machine from malware, spyware, and virus'...plus it uses heuristic technology which, simply stated, is the ability to protect you from new threats by recognizing the potential threat. It's a good program and not that expensive for what it does.

Norton programs are not on the top of my favorites list. They use a LOT of your machines resources for what they do and their uninstall engines are very messy making the program hard to remove (as you discovered). I use Avast Antivirus and Sygate firewall to protect my test machines and neither have been infected or breached. I run Norton IS 2005 on my main machine :tazz: simply because I didn't know any better at the time I started using it. I paid for it, now I'll use it until the subscription expires.

The drawbacks to Avast and AVG is that they are manual scanners and you've got to remember to use them! I would recommend Norton only to a user who may not remember to use the others because you can set it and forget it.

As for the disk defrag...let's see what's going on with it. Click Start point to All Programs then to Accessories then to System Tools and Right click on Disk Defragmenter then click on Properties. Click the Find Target button and double click the selected application...see if it opens (or if it's even there!)

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 September 2005 - 03:24 PM.

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
..i feel dumb for forgetting you could get to it that way, or i would have checked.. it's there, and it's alive and well.. opened up just fine.. just doesn't show up when you right-click on C:drive..

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...Does it work From the system tools link?

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
indeed it does

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is your startup a little faster after running SFC that last time?

charZar

charZar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i'm not sure.. it rebooted with the scan and everything before i got back in the room.. i'll have to reboot and see.. when i click 'turn off the computer' it takes a while for the 'options' to pop up.. did this before the scan and it's doing it now..

and it's not shutting off as fast as before (earlier today/yesterday)

maybe it's just pooped from everything.. it's been on all day.. has a mind of its own

the startup wasn't as slow as it had been by a long shot..

woot!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
charZar...I think you are Good to Go! :) :tazz: :)

You have been absolutely remarkable to work with and your determination was unshakeable...Kudos to you! You had a machine on it's death bed and have brought it back to health...Good Job!!!!

If you have any more problems, don't hesitate to post back or PM me......

I'll see if I can get someone in Malware to have a look at your log, I don't really think there's a lot there so you may be just about done. Take care, charZar.........

wannabe1 :)