Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware Problem?

• Please log in to reply

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
HP Compaq nc6000
Win XP SP2
512MB RAM
Pentium M 1.6ghz
ATI Radeon 9600 32mb

Accenture given laptop

As i have posted before...there were no issues before I began posting my original message. Just started out of the blue.

Advertisements

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Okay, so you have all the latest drivers installed, uninstalled all programs since the start of the problem and no one else has had access to your system.

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
That is correct.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Okay here's all the remaining XP solutions I can think of, remove the mouse reboot(use touch pad)and under My computer, Local disk C>properties make sure indexing service is ticked. Try going through the various Hardware acceleration settings for sound(Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices>speaker settings>advanced>performance) and graphics card(Control panel>Display>Advanced>troubleshooting). Free up hard disk space if under 6GB, test your memory http://www.memtest86.com/

Only other solutions I can think of right now is to go to the HP website http://h18000.www1.h...te/64_5837.html and check under their Software - System Management heading and get the diagnostic for windows tool, there are also other tools available.

These last options below are a bit drastic and I think you should get the opinion of another tech support person before you try them as the solution may not require something so drastic.

Flash your bios(not recommended as your system did work before the problem) or windows XP repair install.

sorry I haven't been of much help :tazz:

I really hope you get your system sorted out though

Edited by fungit, 15 September 2005 - 11:51 AM.

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'll try those out. Thank you very much for your help.

I'll update once I come to a final conclusion.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
when you do the memory test, let it run for many hours. And it should not have any errors. Otherwise, something needs to be fixed.

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Get this...after one month of use. Numerous anti-virus scans, cleans, defrags, etc. I leave my computer on last night. Wake up and system has detected and deleted a trojan (winphk.dll). I now have none of the problems I was seeing. How the [bleep] does this happen?

Once again, thanks for all your help.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
At a guess, I'd say your firewall was only able to detect the Trojan when it tried to phone home. Had you left your computer on overnight before?

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
More frustration. I just went into Norton and permanently deleted the file that was detected as the trojan. Seems that the problem decided to come back when I did this. Looks like the trojan was not to blame.

Yes, I have left my computer on overnight since.

I did nothing within the past couple of weeks that would allow a trojan to get in. No downloads, nothing...strange

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Hi

are you using a program called WinPLOSION?

see this website http://www.winplosion.com/wizard.php

Best regards,

EMCguy

Advertisements

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No I am not using this.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi again,

Could you please create an additional XP user account and restart , logon again with that account and see if the slow down still occurs?

Edited by fungit, 28 September 2005 - 02:45 PM.

woods950

woods950

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I already have two accounts on this system and occurs for both.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Was just at the HP website, have you tried downloading the System enhancements for XP Service pack 2

http://h18007.www1.h...load/22115.html

It's supposed to contain some fixes for XP. As per usual backup anything important before installing.