Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Drives not recognized

• Please log in to reply

canesline

canesline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
wannabe1,

Thanks for the advice, this latest step could take a day or so because my installation cd is not currently with my computer, so I'll try and get that tomorrow. I'll post back after I try to do this repair.

Thanks for all the help,

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
canesline...

Just so you know...the repair is easier than it seems and nearly always works for this problem...I'll watch for your post tomorrow.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 September 2005 - 07:47 PM.

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
you may want to check out this Link

Be prepared to edit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Be sure to read warnings and backup instructions ANYTIME YOU EDIT THE REGISTRY!!!!

In the right pane, there will be two values called Lowerfilters and Upperfilters. Right click on each and select Delete from the Context Menu. Then close Regedit and re-boot.

Edited by brianmil0923, 11 September 2005 - 01:22 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
canesline

Be prepared to edit HKEY_LOCAL....

I like to stay out of the registry unless it is the last resort...it is just too easy for inexperienced users to make a mistake in there......

wannabe1

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
I hear you, but unfortunately in this case I am not aware of any apps or scripts that will do what is required. If you come across it please let me know....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
brianmil0923...

We'll see what the repair procedure does...it usually does fix this problem...if not we'll wade into the registry...best to burn that bridge when we get there.

wannabe1

canesline

canesline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey Wannabe1,

Sorry its taken so long to get back to you. I just got my installation CD and I put it in my drive and restarted my computer, but my drive didn't even react the CD didnt engage or anything, so then i tried restarting again and pressing F8 to see if maybe I could tell the computer to start form the cd, that option was not there. I dont know what to do because it seems like my cd drives are both just gone, it's like one day they were here and then they disappeared. They don't react when I put a cd in them and they are not visible in my computer, except when I do the properties thing and I see that they both have the yellow marker next to them indicating they have errors... what's the deal what should I do?

Thanks much,

-Eli

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Welcome back, canesline...

That shouldn't be an issue once we get things set up. I need for you to enter the BIOS Setup and change your First Boot Device to CD-ROM. To do this, restart your machine and, during the boot sequence, tap either the F1 or Delete keys. This differs between manufacturers so try them both. Once in BIOS, either in the first menu or the advanced menu, you will see the heading Boot or Boot order. Using the arrow keys to select the first device and then use the + or - keys to change it to CD-ROM. Save your Settings and Exit Bios (usually F10 does this) Restart your machine with the cd in the drive and follow the directions REPAIR carefully...print them out if you have to.

Post back if you have any problems...

wannabe1

canesline

canesline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Wannabe1,

Hey, I tried the boot sequence method, and unfortunately my cd drive that came with the computer has always had trouble reading cds, something is messed up mechanically cuz it makes a weird noise, the other cd drive wont even respond to the boot sequence method because I tried that drive first. So this method doesn't really work for me... is there any other way of fixing my cd drives?

Thanks,

-Eli

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the weird sound does not sound encouraging...plus, a DELL OEM cd is probably a reinstallation disk and not a complete windows disk as required by this method.

Please download the attached file, unzip, then double click it and say YES to merge with the registry

Reboot.

Do the drivers return to use?

Attached Files

Advertisements

canesline

canesline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
gerryf,

I downloaded that attachment however when I tried to open it/extract files from it it said that "The Compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted." What should I do?

Thanks,

-Eli

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
re-download it...I've opened it on two machines and it is working (downloaded from the link)

canesline

canesline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
gerryf,

I've tried redownloading several times now I restarted and tried also, it keeps on saying the same thing.

-Eli

canesline

canesline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I just downloaded a movie clip off the Nike.com and when I tried to open the folder it came in it also said that it was invalid or corrupted....but I have used other files like that just yesterday...not too sure what the problem is. Is there another link you could send me to try and download this clearfilter thing?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I am beginning to suspect that the dynamic link library containing the compression (zip) function is broken

Download the following

http://www.tugzip.com/

install it, right click the zip file and choose extract here