Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow XP PC

• Please log in to reply

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
here you go!

Attached Files

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm sorry, I missed that you had already posted that -- sometimes loose track of things in these longer threads.

Let's back up..

Your system is "slow"

Your system was previously cleaned of malware and you were then forwarded here from them

When did things "slow" down? Before or after the cleaning? Have you had any power outages? You installed some programs during the cleaning? Anything specifically slow down when you installed your antivirus program? Pcguard?

I am going to go find the original thread and see what that tells me, plus go looking for a manual for your motherboard. You have an OEM motherboard made by Pcchips with a SIS chipset and integrated video--this is not a recipe for a screaming fast system.

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Things slowed down before the "cleaning

no power outages .....

I know nothing about motherboards ..................

:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
One thing I notice--32bit color with only 16mb of shared videoram for windows xp....

right click your desktop, choose PROPERTIES, choose SETTINGS...on the right, change color quality to medium

Also, right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose SETTINGS button under performance, then choose the radio button "adjust for best performance"

This will make things really ugly---for the moment. We will change it back later. For now, reboot. Make a difference?

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
have changed desktop properties to medium...

my computer properties were already set to "adjust for best performance" ...

nothing ugly to report!!

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
hiya

any more ideas ............ ?