Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 reboots by itself

• Please log in to reply

jaden

jaden

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi

My PC has been rebooting on its own. No messages are posted and most times after this reboot, my D harddrive and DVD writer are not picked up?? My internet connection through Broadband is normally active when this happens and otherwise my system is idle.The problem has no pattern of recurrence.

I have spent days searching for help and was hoping someone out there could help me. I do not get any blue screens etc, just a scare when returning to my PC to see that it has restarted on its own

Thanks
Jaden

Advertisements

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Please perform an online virus scan first:

Online System Checker

Online free Spyware Checker

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan

Trojan Scans:

Sygate Trojan Scan

Windowsecurity Trojan Scan

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Turn off the auto reboot function, and write down and post the error code on the blue screen when it happens again. Also, check your event logs for problems at about the same time as the spontaneous reboots.

Johanna

jaden

jaden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks Johanna

I already did this yesterday and now need to wait for a reboot which could occur.

The Event viewer shows two erors at the time of reboot:
1)NetBT Error
Event Source: NetBT
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4319
Date: 12/09/2005
Time: 18:54:18
User: N/A
Computer: P
Description:
A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which name is in the Conflict state.

2)Event Type: Error
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8003
Date: 12/09/2005
Time: 18:54:18
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer H that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{4F1E906E-FE1F-4FB7-A40. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Look forward to your reply
Jaden

Edited by jaden, 13 September 2005 - 07:24 AM.

jaden

jaden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Sharlpero

I have done the full virus/trojan/spyware story....my machine is clean

Jaden

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Jaden, both of those are network issues related to other PCs on your workgroup being turned on and having a discussion in the background.

Given that, I would update by NIC drivers as you are likely seeing a driver fault in this area. It is unusual, however, for a NIC driver to cause a reboot.

jaden

jaden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did not think they were related, but they did occur right before the reboot. In the meantime I will look into what you suggest.....but what are NIC drivers??

Thanks gerryf

jaden

jaden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The one thing that no one else seems to experience with this reboot problem is the fact that my D drive (2nd HD) and DVD writer) are missing after the reboot??

Jaden

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
NIC drivers are your netowrk interface card drivers...

the missing drives are interesting and we will get to them after we try the NIC drivers first.

Who installed the second drive?

In all likelihood, the second drive and dvd writer are probably on the same ide controller...if your controller is failing, then that could cause your issue.

I want to focus on the NIC first.

Hw many PCs are on your network? What are their names?

jaden

jaden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
2 PC's on network. One named H, the other P. P is the main server. The second HD has been on my machine from the beginning and yes, the DVD and this drive are on the same IDE

Edited by jaden, 13 September 2005 - 07:22 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, did you update the drivers?

If the problem persists after that, go to device manager
start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

expand IDE controllers, choose secondary IDE channel, choose DISABLE....see if the problem recurs after that (you will be without those drivers for the duration of this experiment, obviously)

jaden

jaden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Where can I update my drivers? I have a 3COM Etherlink XL 10/100 Network adapter card?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
You can download the drivers from the 3com website > http://www.3com.com/...nloadsindex.jsp

jaden

jaden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK, busy with updating drivers, but I some how doubt that this is causing my problem. Is this all you want me to do?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

If the problem persists after that, go to device manager
start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

expand IDE controllers, choose secondary IDE channel, choose DISABLE....see if the problem recurs after that (you will be without those drivers for the duration of this experiment, obviously)

View Post