Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

intel celeron 2.70ghz

• Please log in to reply

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Please let me know what an intel celeron 2.70ghz processor is equivelant to. I want to play some new games and dont want to waste the money on buying and not being able to play them. Here are more specs on my cpu.256 MB DDR-Nvidia geforce 2 128MB graphics card-2.70Ghz intel celeron processor-CD-R 48x write and 16x read/DVD Rom drive. Here are some of the games I want to play,Dungeon Siege II, Rome Total War, Act of War Direct Action, Rise of Nations,and Empire Earth II. Please help me with some advice on these games based on my cpu specs. THANK YOU,
racinmason001

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
That cpu will play all of those games, but it wont be as smooth as an intel pentium 4. Just a rough guess but a 2.7 ghz celeron is about equivelant to a 2ghz pentium 4.... The cache size is what kills the celeron, you get very little cache on the chip.

You will want to get a better video card, a geforce 2 you say??

You have 256 mb ram? If so you will want to upgrade that also.

Edited by jrm20, 12 September 2005 - 09:35 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
The video gaming capacity of the celeron is roughly equal to my fruit bowl:|.

For any sort of enjoyable gaming, youll need an AMD Athlon XP as a minimum, since they are going out of fashion, youll get one cheap.

Theres no point chaning anything untill you get short of the celeron. Since you already have DDR and a video card, you could make a painless switch for about £120 ($150). Secondly, youll want more ram.

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
OK I'm a knucklehead when it comes to cpu's.How would I go about upgrading my cpu? What would you recommend me buying, like give me an exact name so I could buy it. An Anthlon or pentium or what?

Edited by racinmason001, 13 September 2005 - 09:29 PM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
the easiest way would be to ditch the celeron and its mobo and wallop in an AMD athlonXP 3200+ on an asrock board, you can use your ram still but an upgrade would make it very nippy indeed.

The Athlon has dropped very much in price and a 3200+ is about £82 and an asrock mobo will be about £25. The athlon 3200+ is the one i use and it has not let me down at all (cept maybe because some butthole in the shop gave me an underpowered fan).

you will want about 512 of ram to play games at acceptable levels....but feel free to stick in 1 gig if you want the best, you could put in more, but i dont think itd be necessary.