Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

three problems in one saves reposting

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ok, after swapping XP for Kubunto, dsl, and the like, my comp has idigestion, and the graphic are way out of sink, even XP comes out funny.

I used to have a floppy called teckworm that basicly formatted with wipe 0 command, always got me into dos, and found the CD drive too. Ah but that was long ago, and now I have lost it, so what do you recommend for me to use instead.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What exactly are the symptoms, if it is just indegestion get some pepto.lol. I would go back to XP with a full reformat if you are having trouble with linux, the linux OSs are great but they still have a long way to go before they can stand up to XP.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
They probobly will never be as good as XP for some things, but then, windows will never beat linux on others (flexibility, packages, efficiancy)

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry to be late in my reply here, I have flu, symton of the comp are, dsl fails to install, kubuntu gives me a faded graphics and largh picture that is too big for the screen. XP is the same graphic situation.

Goal, I am looking for something that will wipe the drive, I have used an XP disk to change from ntfs to fat32 I had hoped that this might do the trick, It is an onboard graphics as part of the motherboard but anyway the idea is to tidy up the drive before reinstalling. Would using a win 98 disket to get into dos, and then formatting be the right way here.

Plaase point me in the right direction and there seems many ways to do this but which one and what program do you recommend here.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would use the XP disk and do a full format changing to NTFS as its a better file system to use. You might want to set up a couple of partitions when you do this for your linux OS if you want to keep on using it. Then once windows is installed put on all the latest drivers for your hardware, to make this easier find them before hand and burn them to a disk thus saving time later and its handy to have in general.