Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some opinions

• Please log in to reply

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi

I'm in the process of reducing my outgoing payments for internet usage as the amount of $ I'm currently spending totally outways the usage of the service.

I currently have comcast cable which is very very fast but I really have no need for that kinda speed. I'm looking at Verizon's cheapest package which is 768/128 and was wondering how this compares to a dial-up connection. The price is $14.95 a month and that is enough to get my curiosity.....

Please don't compare this with what I have currently as I know the speed sacrifice already...I just need some opinions on if this is an OK package for general surfing and maybe some game playing.

TIA for any opinions.....

Advertisements

Twism

Twism

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey Yardguard,

Although I do not know your current connection, it is safe to say that for your needs as a gamer and general user that a 768/128 connection would be plenty so satisfy your needs. Comparing this to a dial-up connection is easy.

A dial-up connection is generally a 56kb connection...meaning an effective speed of 7KB/s transfer, whether that be browsing, downloading or gameplay. This would not be enough for the higher-class internet gaming. At 768kb however you reach a max effective connection of 96KB/s which is perfectly do-able when concering online browsing, internet gaming and regular downloads

You would only need faster connection if you were a desparate download junkie or running a huge server which I doubt you are =)

Opt for the 768/128 and you will be just fine.

=).