Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gateway no post no video

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmm, you will have problems if you try to install win98 on a computer thats already running another OS on the C drive, unless you remove the main hard drive, install another hard drive as the C drive & then load win98 on to it.

An easier workaround would be to obtain a win98 boot disk (one thats creates a ram drive). Boot the system from this, switch to the ram drive at the dos prompt, remove the boot disk, insert new floppy disk, then run the format command from the ram drive.

Advertisements

oneref

oneref

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Not sure if I should start a new post or not, but being this is a no post/no video I'll toss my unit in the fire as well. Computer froze and I had to hardboot. Booted ok and the next time it happened (hours later) it blinked several times and had to hardboot again but this time nopost/novideo. I have replaced mother board, power supply with same results and now after reading this possibly the CPU? From what I'm reading if the CPU is fried then it won't post either? Everything powers up except the post and video.

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi oneref

You were right the first time, you do need to start your own topic I'm afraid - sorry.

Do that & just repeat everything you've already posted & I will have a look at your problem for you

Samm

kaydee216

kaydee216

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Just to let you know. Bios recovery didn’t work. I am pretty sure now that it is the board. From what I have been reading these boards had some capacitor problems. Although I don’t see any signs that the capacitors on this board are shot. There is no bulging or leaking. I am now thinking that this is the problem. I think I’ll just salvage what I can and chuck the rest. Thank you for all your responses and efforts to help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome.
I'm inclined to agree with you about the board, its starting to sound like more trouble than its worth anyway!
Before you sling the board completely, make sure the salvaged parts (in particular the CPU) do actually work, otherwise you may find it was the CPU all along & you've chucked out a perfectly good mobo!