Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD writer not reading any type of disc

• Please log in to reply

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
lets start by removing the upper and lower filters, if they exist.

filters

edit ...
question: how are your IDE devices configured?
is the hard drive the lone device on the primary IDE cable?
are the CD & DVD drives both on the secondary IDE cable?
or is there some other configuration?

we might consider more hardware testing before getting into the registry.

Edited by bdlt, 14 October 2005 - 05:52 PM.

Advertisements

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
the was only a lower filter, booted up, at leat now i showed both drives but still says there no disk,

ff.jpg if you look at the left it shows how it says dvd writer and the right under it it says cd-drive.

IDE cable set up is, theres one whole cable just fro the hard drive, it even says hard drive on it.

Then theres a different calbe for the drive and dvd burner it master and cd rom is slave

Edited by Chuckfoo, 14 October 2005 - 10:38 PM.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
now that you deleted the lower filter, go into device manager and uninstall the DVD drive. then reboot and let windows find the DVD drive and reinstall the drivers. insert a disk and post the result.

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
it didnt work.

and then this happened.<pics>

but it when a away after i restarted and back to like before

Attached Thumbnails

• dd.jpg
  • rrrr.jpg

Edited by Chuckfoo, 15 October 2005 - 11:07 AM.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I see 2 cdroms and 1 dvd in post #34.

did it go back to post #32? in post #32 I see a dvd and no cdroms.

do you know what the L: drive is 'normally'?

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
In psot 32 the hl_2 was the cd-row, there was a game in it. but in 34 for when i rebooted i two cd-roms showed up. I dont know how L drive got there. i only have one cd-rom and one dvd-rom.

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
one ofther thing i notice when uninstalling the dvd drive that where it says location. the dvd says 0(0),

CD rom cd.jpg DVD dvd.jpg

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
location 0(0) looks ok.

let's move the hp 400c to the primary IDE cable with the hard drive. the jumper needs to set as a slave. please uninstall the dvd using device manager prior to power down.

reason - it appears that the registry may have a problem with the dvd drive on the secondary IDE controller. if the registry is 'clean' on the primary IDE port, the dvd drive may(should) work there. this is not a true fix, even though it might work. windows may clean up the secondary IDE registry during the move, and then again it may not.

another reason - it is safer to move the hardware than edit the registry. we may ultimately need to edit the registry, but let's try this first.

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
So put the dvd drive as a a slave drive and the same ide cable with the hard drive?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
exactly.

Advertisements

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok i did what you said and it showed up just like the pic in post 34. And still didnt work right.

Then i tried taking out the cd drive and just have the dvd as master and, it didnt work, it showed just show one drive, the dvd drive but it would work.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
with the dvd as master try uninstalling the drivers and rebooting. leave the cd drive disconnected.

when you say it didn't work right - it won't read a disk or some other result?

edit

but it would work.

the dvd worked?

Edited by bdlt, 15 October 2005 - 01:19 PM.

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
What i Meant to say was that it wouldnt work. An what i mean but doesnt work it some other result, where to said instert disk.

I try the dvd as master and left the cd disconected and it just didnt show the cd rom, and the dvd drive still said insert disk.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
let's revisit the drivers.

when the dvd drive worked in the other PC, where did the drivers come from?(the other PC's c: drive, from floppy, other)

to be clear, your drive is labeled 400c or 400i?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just a thought. I only flipped through the posts because there is quite a few of them :tazz: but I noticed that no one ever talked about DLA (Direct Letter Access). I know from past experience that DLA is needed for HP cd/dvd writers. Do you have DLA installed on this machine? aka is there a listing for it in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in the Control Panel?

Only asking this because you seem to be able to have the computer recognize the driver, but windows can't use it properly.

Fenor