Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Verrrrry slow computer

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe" is good.

We know what programs we can get rid of because we know what each belongs to, and then we decide if you need them on start up. The only stuff we are leaving is your protection programs, link you AntiVirus, Anti Spyware, etc.

The selective startup shows when you reach the desktop after the you change anything in msconfig. The idea is to say "OK" which means I am happy with what I have I don't what to load msconfig and change it. If it dose not show, it dose not matter.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 16 October 2005 - 02:08 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi silvermine...

Michael Buckley is right about the ccApp listing...it is a part of the Norton application and is necesary.

Please, when following y.a's suggestions, don't remove SP2. You'll just have to install it again as it contains many security updates AND the Windows firewall. Let's leave that on the machine...at least until we determine if it may be slowing you down.

Let's clear the Prefetch folder. Click Start then Run and type prefetch and press "Enter". Click "Edit" in the toolbar and choose "Select All". Right click on any file and choose "Delete" (or press the Delete key). Exit any open windows and reboot. Then restart again. The first boot will be a little long as the Prefetch folder is repopulated. (This should help the machine boot a little faster.)

Have a look at post #52 HERE. Following Keiths's advice in that post may also help.

Let us know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 16 October 2005 - 07:25 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi everybody.

Regarding SP2: this is an important addition by microsoft but also a problematic one. I know of many people who uninstalled it from their computers after having lots of problems which usually manifest themselves in a serious slowdown of the computer. I would certainly remove it to check if the problem is not there. If this doesn't help I would reinstall it. The same with the antivirus, especially if it's Norton. Antiviruses are a prime source for all kind of troubles, and Norton leads the pack. Try to remove it and if this doesn't help install it again.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Uninstalling and reinstalling both Norton and SP2 can be problematic, we don't what to do it at this stage. He did not say that after installing these programs that the computer slowed down, so we are not going to mess with them.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi MichaelBackley

3) Did the problem start after the installation of SP2? I have seen a number of computers slowing down after this installation (quote from previous post)

I agree that sp2 shouldn't be removed if there is no association in time between the installation of sp2 and the start of the problem with the computer, that's why I asked in my previous post if such an association exists.

Regarding Norton, I made it almost a rutine procedure to remove this antivirus and install AVG Free. I do that because I find that many problems are caused by this software. I don't do that, however, before advising the computer's owner and getting his permissionand.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Hello guys, (appreciate all your help) :tazz:

I have done all the fixes you have listed except the uninstalls of SP2 and Norton. My slowdown problem did not begin soon after the install of either one. I would rather not do these unless absolutely necessary.

My task manager dooes not show any processes. CPU was 0%.

My computer information was listed in post #6.

I could not find anything on search by the name of Everst.

Did I understand correctly that you can tell me which programs in startup that I can eliminate? I'd appreciate that. :woot:

Can you tell me how to get this site (geeks to go) to save my log in information? At log in the box is checked to save this information. :)

BTW - The machine is working faster! :woot:

Edited by silvermine, 17 October 2005 - 01:43 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Silvermine...

Glad to hear your machine is running faster! How much faster?

Can you tell me how to get this site (geeks to go) to save my log in information? At log in the box is checked to save this information. confused1.gif

In Internet Explorer, click "Tools" then "Internet Options"...Under the "Security" tab, click the "Custom Level" button. Scroll to the bottom of the list and under "User Authentication", under "Logon", check the button next to "Automatic logon with current username and password". Click "Ok" twice.

In Firefox, click "Tools" then "Options" and select "Privacy" in the left pane. In the right pane, select "Saved Passwords" and put a check in the box next to "Remember Passwords" and click "Ok".

Did I understand correctly that you can tell me which programs in startup that I can eliminate? I'd appreciate that. biggrin.gif

I think we've already got this taken care of in post #12. You could also click Start, point to All Programs then to Startup and see what is listed there. If you see an application you don't want or need, right click on it and choose "Delete" to remove it.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 October 2005 - 02:56 PM.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Two problems emerging - NO SOUND!!!!!
AND it is freezing up and task manager has high% CPU usage during freeze. Not even using internet at the time. No applications listed. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Oh-oh...

Now that we have things pretty much the way we want them...with the exception of the new problems, of course, let's go ahead and run this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

You will have to run Windows update when it is finished to regain all available updates.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 October 2005 - 03:19 PM.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Sounds scary - but here goes! :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Naw...it's a piece of cake! Just follow the instructions... :tazz:

wannabe1

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
Right!!!!
Message during installing devices.

"the file VIAAGP1 on VIA AGP Filter Driver Disk is needed"
Type the path where the file is located and click OK
Copy files from

(Browse box )

Installing has stopped. It shut down once before and started the set up again. :tazz:

Awaiting your reply.

Edited by silvermine, 17 October 2005 - 05:37 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the option to skip this? This is a video or chipset file we can download later.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 October 2005 - 05:40 PM.

silvermine

silvermine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
I cancelled it - I'll keep you updated
It seems to be stalled at 34 minutes left

Edited by silvermine, 17 October 2005 - 05:43 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try a different method...

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1