Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PokaPoka## Problem [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

rwhgtg

rwhgtg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Phil,

Hello, I did not get to do the cleaning out of the system restore until now. After I did it, I ran Adaware and there were some possible browser hijack entries I removed with aAdaware. That is #1. But MOST important, I deleted a folder with system restore off that was my son's user id info. There are 2 files in the "Documents and Settings" folder, one is Taylor there other is Taylor.taylor. I deleted the Taylor.taylor and now when I go to his user ID his desktop is gone.There was only Taylor as a user ID in addition to my admin user id. How do I recover what I deleted? The recycle bin shows empty, system restore is off. I found no information in Microsoft's knowledgebase. I recall probably 10-15 years ago using Norton Utilities to recover deleted files. Please help me with that and then perhaps we can figure out the browser issue also.

Thanks,

Rob

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
I think I understand. It's just the ID you want back and not the content of any folder.

Go to Control Panel>User Accounts>Create a New Account and put the info back in.

I am not up on Norton AV (most of us aren't since none of us will use it), although I am pretty good at uninstalling it.

There are some programmes available for recovering data from the HDD, but I couldn't tell you how good any of them are.

rwhgtg

rwhgtg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Phil,

The ID is still on the login screen, it is contents of the folder Taylor.taylor found in C:\Documents and Settings folder that I deleted. When I bring up the Taylor.taylor folder these folders are "grayed out":

Application Data
Local Settings
My Recent Documents
NetHood
PrintHood
SendTo
Templates

These folders still show the yellow folder icon:

Cookies
Desktop
Favorites (this has the Star icon)
Start Menu
Taylor's Documents
Windows

I believe that I have lost the picture he had on his desktop as his background, the icns on his desktop and perhaps other files. The delete process deleted probably 50 files, some I recall were the "Thumbs" and "desktop" files, others were a long string of alphanumerics.

Also, should I be using "fast reply" or "add reply" when I reply to you?

Rob

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello Rob

It doesn't really matter which you choose to reply with; both work OK.

Doing what I said previously, will ungrey those folders and may even restore the info, although I am doubtful of that.

You could always try this programme:

http://www.gold-soft...y-file3032.html

Let me know if its any good.

rwhgtg

rwhgtg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello Phil,

All has gone well over the last week. I did not use the retieval software. I did not lose any necessary files. Thank you again for your help.

Rob

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Glad it went well Rob. You are very welcome to the help.

I will leave this thread open for a few days in case of misfortune.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.