Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

autochk

• Please log in to reply

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
it says "microsoft windows xp recovery consol

the recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality

type exit to quit the recovery console and restart the computer

C:\>" thats what it says then u can type functions after it says C:\>

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Once at the recovery console, type the following:

chkdsk /p /r

This will run a thorough check of the hard drive and check and attempt to repair any errors it finds. It will take awhile.

Try rebooting into windows normally after it's done and see if anything has changed. Post back the details.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 02 October 2005 - 10:06 AM.

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
okay thnx ill try that.

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
yup done it says "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems".

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can't possibly be done. Should take at least 15 minutes to complete.

Try running it again, this time do chkdsk /p /r or whichever is the opposite order you typed the /p and /r after the chkdsk before.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
But I'm afraid the only option left for you is to reformat and reinstall the OS. The hard drive itself could possibly be bad as well, so if you have problems during or after reinstalling windows, then I suggest you have the hard drive replaced.

Fenor

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
tried it but it says same as before one or more unrecoverable problems

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hold on a second, Im going to consult with someone else and see if he has any other ideas we can try.

Fenor

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
okay ty

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
i know a way but i need to use a xp pro sp2 cd for it which i lost today or yesterday so i cant do that. one guy said download autochk.exe on a floppy then when it asks you for it give it the location of the floppy any idea how to do that or what that means...?

Advertisements

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
any other ideas than m8 please help if have other ways around this problem because the data on that computer is important to me

faizal4

faizal4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
no reply...okay ill take that as a no ty anyway for your help i may talk to you sometime in the future bye m8.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Sorry for the long delay in replying faizal4 but I had other things I had to take care of. Go back into Recovery Console and when you get to the C:\ prompt, type DIR and post what is says.

Fenor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys...

I've been researching this, as well. I think you have a real problem here. The partition appears to have been "Hidden" or mistyped as a type 0x17 (should be 0x07) There are ways to repair this, but you'd be editing the MBR which I have very little experience with. See THIS Thread.

There is also a hotfix that causes a similar problem (Windows XP Hotfix KB824105) and removing it may solve the problem...unfortunately, you have to be able to boot to windows to remove it...

wannabe1

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Hi guys...

I've been researching this, as well.  I think you have a real problem here.  The partition appears to have been "Hidden" or mistyped as a type 0x17 (should be 0x07)  There are ways to repair this, but you'd be editing the MBR which I have very little experience with.  See THIS Thread.

There is also a hotfix that causes a similar problem (Windows XP Hotfix KB824105) and removing it may solve the problem...unfortunately, you have to be able to boot to windows to remove it...

wannabe1

View Post

Thanks for the input wannabe1, I've found the information on that hotfix as well, but the problem we have is he can't log into windows with the recovery console and as such can't uninstall the hotfix as I asked him to do in a previous post.

As for the hidden partition, there is a program called ptedit from PowerQuest that you can put on a floppy and run from to change the hex from 0x17 to 0x07. I've read mixed reviews on whether this works or not. For some it has and some it hasn't.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 02 October 2005 - 01:11 PM.