Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to reformat.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Double click "My Computer"...on the toolbar at the top, click "Tools" then "Folder Options". Under the "View" tab, put a tick next to "Show hidden files and folders" and click "Apply" and then "Ok" then try to navigate to the file again.

wannabe1

Advertisements

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
$MSI31Uninstall_KB893803v2$
$NtUninstallKB842773$
$NtUninstallKB898458$

Those 3 folders popped up. o.o

Oh this came up too

$hf_mig$

Edited by nick_mi, 03 October 2005 - 08:51 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's cheat...

Did you get the floppies I mentioned earlier? If not, the following will work, too, and is a little quicker.

Go HERE and download the Win98 SE bootdisk to your desktop. Double click on the file you just downloaded and put a floppy disk in the drive when prompted. This will create a bootable floppy we can use to wipe your drive.

Put this disk in the drive and restart. At the options screen, press F5 for command prompt. At the A:\ prompt, type fdisk and press "Enter". Type Y to accept large disk support and press "Enter". On the next screen, choose option 3 "Delete partition or logical disk drive" and press "Enter". Press Esc to exit fdisk. You now have an unpartitioned and unformatted HDD.

Put your XP installation cd in the cd-rom drive and shut the machine down. Start the machine and follow the prompts to set up a partition and install Windows. When formatting, choose the full format, not the quick format.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 03 October 2005 - 10:02 PM.

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
I know you're gonna start thinking maybe I'm just making crap up, but my laptop does not have an A:\ drive. :tazz:

If there are any trusted techs in the madison area(wisconsin) that want to stop by or me bring my laptop so they can have a look, feel free to respond, this is getting really annoying. -.-;;

Edited by nick_mi, 03 October 2005 - 09:34 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Gotta love Dell and their infinite wisdom....

Is your cd-rom still not working at all?

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Yes, it started working after I rebooted. Also I have about 15 mins left till I have to go to bed. >_<

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If the cd-rom is working now, do you still want to format???? If it's just the autoplay that's causing the grief, I'm sure somebody in here probably has the answer. I'll ask around a bit...we used up every trick in my bag on that one.

wannabe1

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
k, it might be. Although me being the idiot I am, I did add/remove computer components and deleted pretty much everything there figuring no harm would come if I'm formatting. I'm also thinking it's this autorun, because that would pop up evertyime I run my game, then the game would load.

Anyways, I'm off to bed, we'll continue this tommorrow. <3

Remember though, I can't format because my xp disk is for SP1, and you had me download SP2 and I don't know how to get rid of it.

Edited by nick_mi, 03 October 2005 - 09:57 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If we wipe the drive using fdisk, you'll be able to format. You can also probably recover your uninstalled components with a system restore. We'll get you going tomorrow...one way or the other.

wannabe1

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Yeah, put out the flag, 2 peeps have tried now, looks like my comp is giving you guys a challenge. And while I'm sure you guys enjoy a good challenge and try to learn something, it sure as heck isn't making me happy. :tazz: :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
nick_mi

Follow the instructions in Post #18. Once you get the OS back on the machine, you'll need to get all your updates again. They are important both for the security features and the patches/fixes they contain.

wannabe1

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you know the make of hard drive, you can download their utility which will wipe and then set the drive up

Download Everest Home Edition here

Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for Storage, then the 1st drive listed below floppy

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable utility for the drive

If you are unable to find it, please post the make and model here before you download anything

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Gonna need to explain a bit better, I don't have an A drive and I don't understand what you're asking me to do then.

Kieth will do tommorrow, I snuck up and I'm on my dads comp, so can't do anything now atm

Edited by nick_mi, 03 October 2005 - 10:16 PM.

nick_mi

nick_mi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
k, back, gonna try what you guys told me to do, still a bit confused though.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
nick_mi...

Download Everest Home Edition as Keith suggested, install it, run it, and attach a log to this thread. This will give us your system specs.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 04 October 2005 - 12:22 PM.