Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean-up Utility not working?

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
When I run the clean up utility (accessories/systems tools) I always get Webclient Publisher Temporary Files - 4,800 KB. And even tho it's checked to be deleted, they are still there after deletion. Why aren't they deleted?

Advertisements

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
I think that is the leftover parts. Please Correct me anyone if i am wrong ! :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you really want to get rid of temporary/backup files on your system, then I suggest you download and run CleanUp!. When you install it just hit the CLEANUP! button and it will do a standard cleanup. Please note that this will also delete your cookies, so you will have to re-input any login/passwords that you have for certain websites the next time you visit them. It's no biggy, just make sure you know what they are! :tazz:

Fenor

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

If you really want to get rid of temporary/backup files on your system, then I suggest you download and run CleanUp!.  When you install it just hit the CLEANUP! button and it will do a standard cleanup.  Please note that this will also delete your cookies, so you will have to re-input any login/passwords that you have for certain websites the next time you visit them.  It's no biggy, just make sure you know what they are! :tazz:

Fenor

View Post

I tried that and other cleaner programs I have. Always shows 4,800 kilobytes.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have any kind of website making software on your computer? Or software to maintain a website? It's possible that you have a service enabled, or program running, that always has this amount of space set aside for it. I'm trying to research this, if I find anything I'll post it here. In the mean time take a look around at the programs you have installed and the services that are running on your machine.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
wright3279,

Go to START-->RUN and type in: services.msc

Once in the SERVICES window appears, scroll down and see if there is a service labeled PUBLISHER. If there is, double-click on it. Change the STARTUP TYPE to manual and click the STOP button. Do the same for the WEBCLIENT service.

I don't think there will be a PUBLISHER service I'm im 100% positive there is a Webclient Service.

If you notice anything that is abnormal after you set this service to manual, then just reverse the previous steps to re-enable it, but you shouldn't have any problems.

Let me know if this gets rid of the 4,800KB.

Fenor

*EDIT* You'll need to reboot your computer before trying Disk Cleanup again.

Edited by Fenor, 04 October 2005 - 09:40 PM.

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

wright3279,

Go to START-->RUN and type in: services.msc

Once in the SERVICES window appears, scroll down and see if there is a service labeled PUBLISHER.  If there is, double-click on it.  Change the STARTUP TYPE to manual and click the STOP button.  Do the same for the WEBCLIENT service.

I don't think there will be a PUBLISHER service I'm im 100% positive there is a Webclient Service.

If you notice anything that is abnormal after you set this service to manual, then just reverse the previous steps to re-enable it, but you shouldn't have any problems.

Let me know if this gets rid of the 4,800KB.

Fenor

*EDIT* You'll need to reboot your computer before trying Disk Cleanup again.

View Post

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I disabled WebClient under msg.services. I no longer see the files when I run the clean-up utility. Maybe they're still there, but not showing. Oh well, wasn't hurting anything anyway.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Turning off WebClient deletes them it is the same with some other services you stop them and some files get deleted, they are recreated when you start it again. If you are so desperate to get rid of 4.8mb do you what some other tips?

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Turning off WebClient deletes them it is the same with some other services you stop them and some files get deleted, they are recreated when you start it again.  If you are so desperate to get rid of 4.8mb do you what some other tips?

View Post

Not desparate, just curious as to why it started showing up to undeletable when I used to delete it.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Not desparate, just curious as to why it started showing up to undeletable when I used to delete it.

View Post

They aren't undeletable, You DO DELETE them when you use the cleanup utlity, Windows just remakes them because those files are needed for the WebClient Service.

Fenor

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

They aren't undeletable,  You DO DELETE them when you use the cleanup utlity, Windows just remakes them because those files are needed for the WebClient Service.

Fenor

View Post

But the WebClient service always showed up on Disk Cleanup before and always went to 0 I after I run it. Let's let it go. There's always things happnning that I wonder about. Like now when I right click on the desktop area, the option to not show any icons is gone.