Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

java compiler/newbie

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi, 2 questions, I am new to programming but am determined to learn it. Wondering what language should I get into learning and what is the easiest in your opinion and worthwhile in the job market. I love web design but rely on my GUI. I took some java classes in school a few years ago but it is hard to learn in a classroom and wondering if I should stick with JAVA since it seems to be pretty universal and plus I have the book, and it seems there is still a pretty hot job market out there for it

Second question where can I find a good compiler to download to practice with, Thanks

Edited by higby88, 14 October 2005 - 10:35 AM.

Advertisements

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Sun Microsystems provides the basic Java SDK free of charge which includes the java compiler. You can download it at:

http://java.sun.com/...2/download.html

To start out with beginning programming, I recommend to everyone to use a text editor that features syntax highlighting. I have used the free "Crimson Editor" and been very happy with it and it also features a nice tabbed interface (similar to firefox) that allows you to move between files quickly and easily. You can download it at:

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/

Cheers and good luck,
Tom

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
or just program in linux :tazz: but there's emacs for windows too, its really powerful and handles code really well

http://www.xemacs.or...load/index.html

higby88

higby88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I downloaded the package from sun, the java web start, is this the right one, cause all I got were a notepad, a drawing program and a couple others, I jsut want to write simple code, compile it and learn??? Help!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I downloaded the package from sun, the java web start, is this the right one, cause all I got were a notepad, a drawing program and a couple others, I jsut want to write simple code, compile it and learn??? Help!

That's not the right one, that's some little toys they made for their and out amusement. You want the Java Development Kit, it'll be quite a large download.

skate_punk_21

skate_punk_21

Malware Removal Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 1,049 posts
I use 2 compilers, one is BlueJay, the second is called; Dr. Java (my preference)

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Personally, I would suggest SlickEdit because it doesnt require alot of ram like netbean does
For me, it would lag like !@#$%^& if I use netbeans
But I have blueJ, netbeans and slickedit and i use slickedit the most!
The best part is that it can apply to all OS...