Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem running Windows 98 after erasing hard drive

• Please log in to reply

shotgun

shotgun

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Is windows 98 installed on it yet?

Advertisements

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I think so, because I was able to upack all the windows files then the resource cd said to reboot which I did, when I did that it beeps once, goes to the dell screen then I get a black screen with only a white blinking cursor on the top left. As far as I can tell Windows is installled I guess. The drive is partioned and formatted and the windows files were copied to the drive, but no restart windows doesn't run.

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I meant to type at the bottom of my last reply on restart windows doesn't run, not no restart windows doesn't run. sorry

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
shortcake...

Sorry...my ISP went down. They always manage to do that when you least want them to... :tazz:

We need to go into BIOS and change the boot priority. Restart the machine and tap either the F1 or Delete key on reboot. On some Dells it's the F2 key...It will tell you which key to press to "Enter Setup" at the bottom of the first boot screen.

Once in the BIOS setup, look for the Boot Priority or Boot Order heading. Depending on which BIOS you have on the machine, it may be under the heading "Boot" or "Advanced". Change the boot order as follows:
  • Floppy
  • HDD (IDE-0)
  • CD-Rom
Save the settings (usually F10) and exit setup. Reboot (Ctrl + Alt + Delete).

Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 October 2005 - 04:56 PM.

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok I did that, and still the same thing. computer restarts dell logo splash screen appears then it beeps then it goes to the black screen with the white blinking cursor top left.
No problem on the ISP thing I totally understand that.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmmmm :tazz:

Try setting the HDD to first boot device, then floppy, then cd-rom.

wannabe1

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok I tried that sequence and still nothing. same result black screen etc.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Somewhere we're missing the MBR.

Change the boot priority to cd-rom then HDD then floppy...save the settings. Put the cd in the drive and reboot.

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok I"ll try that now, I thought about kicking it across the room to see if that helped. lol just kidding. trying last part now . Thanks for all of your time on this.

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ok changed the boot sequence and put in the recovery cd. now on the screen I got four opitons listed. recover drivers and install files,
refresh windows os, recover hard drive without format, and format and recover hard drive.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
refresh windows os

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
the MBR is that the master boot registry? I"m doing it now, taking a little while, seems to be working. Could it be just a bad cd? Or bad hard drive what are you thinking?

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
the MBR is that the master boot registry? I"m doing it now, taking a little while, seems to be working. Could it be just a bad cd? Or bad hard drive what are you thinking?

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

shortcake

shortcake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts