Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer randomly freezes

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Keith - Hehehe, vad duktig du är thumbsup.gif

Toto...I don't think we're in Kansas anymore... :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
AnnJS...

I think I may have pin-pointed the problem and SP2 may fix it for us with a hot fix it contains...if not, well...we'll burn that bridge if we get to it... :tazz:

wannabe1

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
SP2 is installed now and seems to be running smoothly :tazz:

Now to wait to see if it freezes or not! I really hope you're right about the hotfix that might solve this all (out of curiousity, what in particular did you think the problem was?).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think it's a ACPI issue...an interrupt storm is being generated by the Acpi.sys driver. There's a hot fix in SP2 that addresses this in most cases.

wannabe1

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Man, I really hate saying this, but the computer just froze again :tazz:

Is it positive that the Swedish version of SP2 that I installed did have the ACPI hotfix included? I don't see why it wouldn't, but still...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
AnnJS...

The hotfix doesn't work on every machine...just most.

Let me put together a fix...we're going to have to do a little editing to the registry, but I want to research it a little bit more before we do...

wannabe1

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Ah, I see.

Thank you so much for being so patient and helpful with this, you have no idea how much I appreciate it :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok, AnnJS...

Rule #1 is in effect! If you have any questions, ask before doing this repair.

The first thing we need to do is back up your current registry. Click Start then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok". In the Registry Editor, click on File on the toolbar and then click Export. In the "Export Registry file" window, from the "Save in" drop down menu, select Desktop. In the "File Name" box, type 102205 and then click "Ok". I also want to save a copy of the registry to a floppy so do the above again only choosing to save it to the floppy drive instead of the Desktop.

Now...in the left pane of the Registry Editor, expand (click the +)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Services, then ACPI, and click on Parameters (Note: If the Parameters subkey does not exist, right-click ACPI, point to New, then click Key, and type Parameters as the subkey name, and then press "Enter").

Right-click the Attributes entry, and then click Modify. (Note: If the Attributes entry does not exist, right-click Parameters, point to New, and then click DWORD value. Type Attributes as the entry name, and then press "Enter").

In the "Edit DWORD Value" dialog box, click Hexadecimal, type 100 in the "Value data" box, and then click "Ok".

Quit Registry Editor and Reboot.

Let me know how this goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 22 October 2005 - 12:11 AM.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Oki doki, all done! So far so good... Here's to hoping this will do the trick :tazz:

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Just had another freeze happen.

Everything was working fine, and had been for the last couple of hours. So I started to relax and actually did some stuff (had some couple of Internet Explorer windows open as well as Notepad) when it started going crazy. First it said explorer.exe encountered a serious error and had to be shut down, and then after it had finished sending the report to Windows it was brining up a site explaining the problem when it just did a mini-freeze... What I mean by that is that I could move the mouse and ctrl+alt+del worked; but nothing I did had any effect and just showed the semi-loaded site all blank and messed up (hard to explain, sorry). Then it started doing reports on other things too, iexplorer.exe and drwtsn32.exe mainly. And all of those just made the mini-freeze worse and then finally after 10 minutes or so the computer froze for real.

I don't know if this was just an actual error because of something (I remember a relative of mine said his computer went bonkers after installing SP2, which is why I hadn't done so on my own before now), or if it's the same old freezing problem as before.

Anyways, I'll give it some more hours and let you know if it acts up again... I just wanted to make a quick post now to keep you up to date.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi AnnJS...

Wasn't expecting that! This is why I always take the precaution to back up the registry...if all else fails, we can fall back on that. I haven't found anything else in the log that would cause the system to hang...I'll search some knowledge bases and see if perhaps an SP2 hotfix may be involved...they are easily removed as is SP2.

Did the system generate any error codes? They would look something like this: Stop: c0000218

wannabe1

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Yeah, I really thought this was fixed too... It worked perfect for quite a few hours! Maybe it just was a random thing, I'm hoping for that :tazz:

Error codes like in the event log, you mean? If that's what you meant, then the only thing that reported was the same old "Nsvpismal" and "Splsipnia" errors, nothing else.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Just letting you know that it did indeed freeze a couple of more times, so I guess it wasn't a random error after all. Sorry :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try something...

Reboot and enter BIOS set up...see if there is an option to disable ACPI...if there is, disable it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
AnnJS...

You you find out what folder "Nsvpismal" and "Splsipnia" are in for me?

wannabe1