Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan, Virus --- System taken over

• Please log in to reply

RB2659

RB2659

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Running Win XP Home Edition
Somehow had a trojan loaded on the computer using the Limewire sharing software.
Limewire, under the virus, proceeded to load 1000's of .exe files embedded in .zip files in a directory that is hidden. The files have filled up my 160 gig hard drive, believe it or not.

I cannot get to those files to delete them, even if i tell win explorer to show me hidden files.

My computer keeps crashing from this trojan.

I have run Norton Anti-Virus who supposedly "quarantined" these files, yet they are still out there.

I also ran Ewido Security Suite who found 39,000 of these files and wanted me to delete them one by one, since it was giving me an error that the .exe file was embedded in a .zip file...ok to remove? It asked me one by one. I was able to find the patience to hit the mouse button 4,000 times then gave up. Now when I run the scan, it doesn't find the files as viruses, yet they are still there.

Your help on this weird issue is very appreciated!

:tazz:

Advertisements