Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor takes a while to become visible

• Please log in to reply

cryptopsy

cryptopsy

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey, I was hoping someone out there could help me out with a problem i have been having with my monitor for around the past 4 or 5 days. Whenever my computer and monitor have been turned off for quite a long period of time (such as overnight for 8 hours), when i turn on my computer and monitor, the monitor is completely black on startup. After about a minute or so once the startup screens have finished, my desktop screen then slowly becomes visible, starting off black and slowly returning to full colour after around a minute or so. My monitor then looks and works as per usual after this time.

If i then turn off my computer and monitor, and turn them back on within a few hours, the monitor is completely visible in usual colour, immediately on startup. Therefore the problem seems to be when turning on the monitor from a very cold startup.

One thing i have noticed however, is that even when my computer and monitor have been turned off for a long period of time such as overnight, if i turn on my monitor while the computer is off, the standard message which I normally receive on my monitor “No signal output or cable disconnected”, still appears in full colour as per usual. Due to this message still appearing in full colour even when the computer is cold, but the startup screens not being shown when the computer was cold, I was wondering if it might be a problem with my video card.

My computer specs are:

Pentium III 500 Mhz
Philips 17’ Monitor
Voodoo 3 AGP 16MB video card
Windows 98 2nd edition

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as even though my computer is still working, it is quite annoying, and I fear that it my monitor may become completely dark if I don’t fix something soon

Cheers
:tazz:

Advertisements

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hiya!
Sounds like the electronic guns in your monitor are dying. i don't know if their if a fix without geeting a new monitor.

cryptopsy

cryptopsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Cheers for the advice, although probably not the reply i wanted to hear. The monitor is only 5 years old, so i reckon thats pretty bad quality if it goes after 5 years. Oh well, looks like i will just keep using it until it completely dies on me, unless other people have some advice on how i can fix it.