Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Full System Restore Advice/Guidance

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
periwinkle...

Let's uninstall and reinstall the Java Platform...

Open the Contol Panel and choose "Add or Remove Programs"...Scroll down to "Java Runtime Environment" or "J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0" and uninstall all instances that you see...Scroll down to "Java Web Start", and uninstall it as well.

Go to the Sun Java Download page and download a fresh java installation (you may encounter a warning message that instructs you on Installing the Active X Control. Please follow the instruction to allow the installation).
When installing, choose the "Typical" installation...When the installation is complete, you may be asked to restart your computer now or later. Choose to restart it now.

After your computer has restarted try to access the Pogo Site.

wannabe1

Advertisements

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Success at last!!! I reinstalled Java one more time, then I had this idea, "Why don't I try it in safe mode with networking?" That's where the game finally loaded!! I realized then, that there must be a firewall issue. Yet, my firewall never ever indicated or complained about trying to load the site. I had disabled it several times while I tried to load the game in the past, but that had not worked. This time, that seems to be the fix.

Now, if I can just remember how to look at my device manager for my USB ports. I'm pretty sure with a little fiddling, I can find the page. I sure wish there was some way for users to tell where to find what on their computers. The search function is fine for some things, but I have to rely on my good recall to do so many things. Right now, I'm not recalling how I got into the device manager. I think it's in Internet Options. Thanks so much for your patience, Wannabe1 and kd1966. I probably will still need help with this, if I can't get the USB ports to work. In the meantime, I'm going to go game crazy on Pogo. I feel like I've been fasting, and now the feast!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
periwinkle...

Device Manager = right click My Computer and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab and then on the "Device Manager" button.

Glad you are finally able to get your game fix. Now would be a good time to create a Restore Point in System Restore. You might also back up your registry in case the System Restore doesn't want to work correctly.

As for the USB issue. Have you installed SP2? It contains UXB 2.0 drivers and may fix the problem. If not, Enter your BIOS setup and make sure Legacy USB Support is enabled.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 November 2005 - 09:43 PM.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Ok Wannabe1,

Now ya got me. I have no clue what my BIOS setup is, nor how to enter it. The USB ports are still disabled. I tried updating them, but I got the message that I have the best setup available. I seem to remember the eMachines techs telling me to delete them, and then they'd be reinstalled the next time I restarted. However I did try that a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't work. I just deleted them again, but I'm thinking they probably still won't work, if they are behaving like they have been.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
periwinkle...

To enter BIOS Setup on your machine, restart the machine, tap the F1 or Delete key during bootup. On some machines F2 enters Setup. It should say at the bottom of the Boot Screen which key to press. "Press [key] to enter setup" Legacy support is usually under the "Advance" menu. If you find it disabled, select it using the arrow keys and enable it using the + or - keys. Be sure to save the settings when you exit.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 November 2005 - 10:27 PM.

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Good Evening Wannabe1,

Okay, the USB ports still aren't working. I entered something (I guess it was the BIOS) by hitting the delete key on startup. F1 and F2 didn't work at all. I fumbled around for a while and found something in the advanced section that was called "on chip USB Controller". I'm thinking this is the controller for my USB ports. They are enabled. I guess my computer is pretty screwed up. I know that after 9 months of owning the computer, my front USB port stopped working because when I plugged the digital camera in, the computer didn't recognize it. EMachines (at that time) recommended downloading some USB drivers from somewhere. That never did anything to bring the port back.

Now, all of the USB ports don't work. The error says that "windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" I'm thinking I need new drivers, but I'm not sure how to get them. I thought that by deleting them and then restarting that I would be downloading the new drivers.

Currently I'm using a couple of different applications to find my drivers and USB ports. I tried one called "Driver Detective". It did not show that my USB ports are bad. However, it did show that all my nVidia drivers need to be updated. I'm not sure why they aren't updating as they should be. Again, I wonder if this is because I backed up so many files. I think nVidia was one of them.

I think it's odd that Driver Detective shows my USB ports to be fine, but windows keeps showing that I have a corrupt or missing driver. Again, I did a search to find my USB ports, but I have no idea what type of USB ports I have.

I know there's some way to find out my computer's specs, but I don't remember how to do that. Do you know how to do that?

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi again! Okay, I swear I feel like I keep fumbling into fixes. I had downloaded this HHD Software - USB Monitor. All the USB ports are back. Go figure. I really don't know what the heck I did or how. Now, I have "extra" drives that I really don't have. I only have a CD-ROM drive and a DVD-R/W drive. Yet, somehow, in loading those drivers, I've "gained" extra drives. I know this isn't right, but I'm just happy to have my USB ports back. Like I said, I wish I knew what I did. It was probably that HHD app that did it. I didn't think it had worked...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi periwinkle...Glad you got it sorted out!!! :tazz:

That's a pretty cool piece of software you ran across...I've just downloaded the trial version to play with myself. It may be a very good tool for future issues such as yours. Thank you for sharing your "fix" with us!

wannabe1

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Wannabe1,

I'm glad to help! Even if I feel like Inspector Clueso (sp?). Don't know if you remember the Pink Panther...

periwinkle

periwinkle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
I believe I have found another good source of help...Just after I thought I got everything fixed - IE working, Java working, and USB ports all functional, then my Task Manager decided to have problems.

It was having problems before I did one of the restores, but then it was okay. However, it started appearing without the top portion of the window - the menu portion. So, all I had was a partial window, and I couldn't choose from Applications, Processes, Performance, Networking or Users. So, I did a search and found this site: http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Maybe you all already know about it? I found the registry file for fixing/enabling or resetting the Task Manager. I downloaded it and then installed it, and voila - the Task Manager was instantly fixed. All I know is, I'm a pretty happy camper now. Wish I'd found this site before! Anyone know much about this site?

Advertisements

Optikal

Optikal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi strangers,
Sorry to butt in, but i too think a report from Everest Home Ed(http://www.lavalys.com/) or PC wizard 2005 (http://www.cpuid.org/pcwizard.php) would greatly improve the chances of correctly guestimating the problem at hand..:tazz:

Optikal

Optikal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
woops... i will remember to check dates before posting again hehe