Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashwave 8 & ActiveX malfunction

• Please log in to reply

LtBJH

LtBJH

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was having problems with spyware and cleaned them all up using WinFixer 2005. After I was finished I uninstalled WinFixer 2005 and my system appears to be clean. The only problem is I now have no ActiveX or Flashwave 8 resources. When I pull up websites that incorperate either of these two items I get a little red x as if something is missing. I have tried updating windows xp but on the windows update site it tells me to click the info bar to download activex controller and I don't ever get the info bar telling me to download it. I have also tried going and downloading from macromedia but that won't let me download without the flash or activex. I have taken my security settings from everything allowed to nothing allowed. I have also tried alowing everything and what has the option for a prompt I have asked for the prompt. Still unable to do anything. Could someone please give me some advise.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.macromedi...=ShockwaveFlash

Make sure you remove the tick fom the toolbar install

Do you have a problem with Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Do you have Windows Installer 3.1 V2

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

If you run disc clean up then click to view downloaded programme files, do you have shockwave control

Besttechie

Besttechie

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
I actually had basically the same issue no matter what I did could I get flash to install. When I installed a new hard drive and reinstalled Windows it worked. Anyway, I'm not telling you to reinstall Windows, but I would be curious to know if what Keith suggested works. :tazz:

B

LtBJH

LtBJH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried the shokewave and it loaded but didn't help any. I tried the windows updates but it said to hit the info bar up top to download activex controls and there was no info bar to click. I had no idea what the windows installer thing was. Someone else emailed and advised I reload windows XP but I was afraid to untill I read the instructions on this forum for doing it without reinitializing my system. I have done that and everything seems to be working now accept 2 things. On install something failed installing catsrv.dll ??? and now when my computer reboots it says surfaccuracy fails due to SAcc.exe corrup?? are these things that I need to take care of or what??

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I thought winfixer was pretty dodgy software.

Maybe you should post this in the malware removal forum.

Just an idea

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you install SP2 yet

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
SAcc.exe is an advertising program by Surf Accuracy. This process monitors your browsing habits and distributes the data back to the author's servers for analysis. This also prompts advertising popups. This program is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. Please see additional details regarding this process

about catsrv.dll
http://www.filename.....dll/1-638.html

LtBJH

LtBJH

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I had downloaded SP2 should I do that now or continue letting window run its auto updates and rebooting my computer every 15-20 minutes.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SP2 can go on whenever, as long as all the updates go on it does not matter