Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't download Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello all,

I am unable to downlaod critical (or any other) updates from the Windows Update site. The "scan for updates" completes, leaving me with three updates to install; An IE update, a Windows 98 Security update, and a DirectX update.

When "install selected updates" is chosen, the installation window opens and freezes. When attemting to close this window , I receive an Internet Explorer error message, indicating an illegal operation and shut down.

Any thoughts?

Edited by DangerousThing, 30 October 2005 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First, the DirectX update has to be installed by itself. Do you have the latest version of IE, IE6SP1? If not, download that first, but not from the update site, which has scripting that earlier IEs can't handle, but from the download site. And any other updates, be careful about not installing too many at a time, or installing the ones that have to be by themselves.

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I tried your advice to no avail....the direct download from Microsoft.com did not work either. I also tried the DirectX update by itself and had no success. The download dialog box opens.....hangs....and then on the attempt to close it, I receive the IE shutdown message.....

Any further suggestions???

Edited by DangerousThing, 02 November 2005 - 08:17 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
DangerousThing...

Go the Control Panel and open Add/Remove Programs. Scroll down to Internet Explorer SP1, select it, and click "Remove". In the dialog box that appears, tick the radio button labeled "Repair" and click "Ok". Follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know if this helps. We may have to remove and reinstall the Internet Explorer...If the above operation fails, download IE6 from HERE and save it to your desktop...do not run the installation yet. Post back for instructions on how to remove the current installation.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 November 2005 - 08:49 AM.

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
the only IE in the "Add-Remove" list was Internet Explorer Q_____ ?> I hit the uninstall buuton, after which I was prompted to re-boot to complete the removal...when I click your link for the download, the system freezes...or more correctly, my yahoo browser freezes. Should I re-boot?

Edited by DangerousThing, 02 November 2005 - 09:29 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....let's roll you back a notch and try again.

Click Start then Run and type scanreg /restore (Note the space before the /) and press "Ok"...You will be presented with a screen containing five "snapshots" of your system you can restore to. Use the arrow keys and choose one (go down two to be safe) and press "Enter"...type Y at the prompt and press "Enter". Reboot.

Hopefully this will restore the version of IE you removed. We wanted to remove only IE6 SP1 as specified in my earlier instructions. Let me know if you don't get functionality back.

Download the IE6 from the link in the previous post and save it to the desktop...close all open applications and double click the downloaded IE to install it.

wannabe1

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Thanks again for your help. I had to restart in DOS to get to the "scanreg" option, which restored the system to 31OCT05 successfully.

Again, the only Internet Explorer program listed in the "add-remove programs" window is: "Internet Explorer Q890923". There is no other IE program on the list.

Please advise.

Thanks again

DT

Edited by DangerousThing, 04 November 2005 - 08:26 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
DangerousThing...

We should be where we want to be.... :tazz:

Get this Microsoft download of IE6 SP1...save it to disk and install it once the download completes.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
:tazz: Once again, I get to the download page you have directed me to and when I click "download" a small window opens, which I am assuming is the file download dialog box. When I try to maximize it, there is no image or text inside the window, and the hourglass appears and nothing happens. The address bar at the top of this window reads:

http:download.microsoft.com/ie6sp1/finrel/6_sp1/W98NT42KMeXP/EN-US/ie6setup.exe

This seems to be the sticking point of all of our attempts. Is there something I need to disable prior to attempting this download? I am running ZoneAlarm and BitDefender 8......

Sorry to be such an annoyance....

DT

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
DangerousThing...

Click Start then Run and type regsvr32 Dispex.dll in the Open box, and then click "Ok".

If this operation is successful, you receive the following message: DllRegisterServer in Dispex.dll succeeded.

Restart your computer, then try to connect to the Windows Update site and verify that you can install updates.

wannabe1

Advertisements

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Sorry for the delay in responding to you. The procedure you suggested did result in the message you predicted. However, I am still unable to download any updates. The Windows Update--Web Page Dialog window opens, the "Preparing to download..." message shows, and then nothing takes place.

When I click on the "cancel" box, I once again get get the Iexplore window with the message:

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

If the problem persists, contact the program vendor."

What next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's take a look at a registry value real quick...

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok".

In the left pane of the registry editor, expand (click the +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then Current Version, then Explorer, and click on "BrowseNewProcess". In the right pane the value for "BrowseNewProcess" should be "yes". If it is not, right click on "BrowseNewProcess"in the right pane and choose "Modify"...in the Data Value box, type "Yes" and click "Ok"...Exit the registry Editor.

If you changed a value, reboot and try the download again. If you found the value correct, post back...

wannabe1

DangerousThing

DangerousThing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
The value was correct.

DT

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm beginning to think it might be best for you to go to the top of this forum where it says reinstall without losing your files and programs, and follow that procedure. It will be less effort than troubleshooting and the results might be better. On the very machine I'm on now, nothing I did would make the onboard network adapter work, and I did that and you can see the results.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
DangerousThing...

Let's see if it may be a trojan causing this issue...

Please go HERE and run Housecall (Virus and Security). Disinfect or delete anything the scan finds. Restart the computer and try the windows update again.

wannabe1