Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Homepage Hijacked

• Please log in to reply

Chipster

Chipster

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
A little background...I used to use SBC Yahoo DSL as my ISP. When I switched to Mediacom Cable, my homepage was stuck on SBC Yahoo DSL logon page. No matter what I did, no matter how I reset or changed my homepage, it was stuck. This was so annoying to me after six months that last week I did a Full System Recovery of my computer reloading my original XP system. Everything went fine. I moved all my folder I wanted to keep (all word documents) back from an external hard drive and everything was still great. My computer worked like a dream. I set my homepage to the one of my choice and it worked without fail.
Now, three days after my recovery, I notice my Win-Patrol program repeatedly giving me the warning that a change has been detected in my homepage...is that ok? I clicked no every time and usually Win Patrol gets the idea and stops asking. I guess it figures out after a while what I want and don't want. Anyway, when those warnings stopped and I next opened IE, my homepage had been reset to:

http://hp.netscape.com/hp1.adp

When I go to Tools/Internet Options/General/Home Page the complete address that shows in the box is:

http://ie.redirect.h...lion&pf=desktop

I tried continuously to change it to MY choice through Tools/Internet Options but without even closing IE and reopening it, I could go right back to Tools and see that it had changed my page already. I tried going into Internet Options through the control panel and changing it...same result. I then deleted ALL the Netscape things I could find. A Netscape folder, the Easy Internet Setup folder in XP, and the Netscape key under All Users/Software in the Registry along with all its' subkeys. None of my actions helped. It still returns immediately to the Netscape page.
I of course called HP as I had done with SBC and got nothing but a run around. Everone wants it to be someone elses problem. They are either unwilling, or unable to understand and solve this for me. CLEARLY this looks like something that came with HP software as their name is all over it. The Netscape page is covered with HP ads. None of my three spyware programs detect anything unusual. My two firewalls don't alert me or try to block anything, and my anti virus doesn't notice anything either.
Can someone PLEASE give me direction on how to go into the HP folders to remove this setting or remove it from the Registry completely or at the very least render it inoperable. I'm no pro but can follow good, clear directions for removal. Any suggestions appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I suggest you check your system for malware. Work through the malware removal guide, see the link at the top of this forum where it says "Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please Start Here. " This enables folks to solve most problems on their own. If you still have a problem after that, post a hijack this log in the malware forum at http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html