Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Please ! - I need IE to be fixed to work :-(

• Please log in to reply

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
No, you're not stupid, you're human like the rest of us and just forget what you did with something. We all do it. Good Luck in your search. When you find it don't to a fresh install, do that repair install so you don't lose data :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

Advertisements

SandraParis

SandraParis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I FOUND IT !!!! sorry to polute the forum that way... but I am so happy... maybe it will fixe the problems I have...

Do I have to save my documents before to apply your solution jonny?

Sandra

SandraParis

SandraParis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
oops... really stupid in fact as I don't even saw your reply :-)
I will do it right now!
Sandra

SandraParis

SandraParis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
same... I always have the same problem... :''((((
I feel so baaaaad :-(

Sandra

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Even after trying a "Repair" install of windows?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

SandraParis

SandraParis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I think I did it, but I am not sure...
When I type the scan /.... command, it prompts a Toshiba help windows, saying that I can either reinstall each application given with my PC, or install Windows xp (and then it will erase my data)...
I cannot really find how to reinstall windows XP without to lose my data...
Sandra

ps. always here jonnyrotten ;-)

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Follow the directions on this page exactly and you will have a fresh install of windows without losing your data. After you're done be sure to immediately download and install ALL Windows updates and then reboot.

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

SandraParis

SandraParis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I did try, but my reboot CD is a util DVD (with XP on it),

What I did is I did the command you gave me in the "run" window... it checked it my windows protected files were corrupted or changed... it takes maybe 15 minutes or more... then nothing else, and I rebooted... Still is the same.

I cannot get the blue screen with my DVD when I try the F2 or F12... I changes the boot preference to put the CD first before the harddrive... but it does do boot on it when I try... I heard that the CD player is running, but as I don'y find (I think) the Windows XP install... he then boots on the harddrive.
When I launch the DVD once windows XP is running, it does not give me the possibility to reinstall without to erase all... :-(

Sandra

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What type of computer do you have? Dell, Gateway, etc....?

SandraParis

SandraParis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
it's a toshiba and the DVD is all the application Tochiba give with the computer... I don't see any windows XP on it, but I am sure windows is ont it... The only thing is that it does not appear as a pure windows XP CD... the autorun is the Toshiba autorun thing... and run the recovery of the drivers and applications, or the complete restauration of Windows XP -with lost of data...
No other choice :////

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Try putting the disk in after you have gone into windows already and click "My Computer", right click your dvd drive that the disk is in. Click "Explore". Now look for a folder called I386 when you find it double click it and locate the file called winnt32.exe double click it. You will then get a window that pops up giving you options to install windows xp. Select the "Upgrade" installation and you will then go through the installation process. Make sure to have your product key handy too, I can't remember if it asks you for it. This will reinstall windows and save your data. I'm not sure if it saves all your programs, but I know all the data is saved. I think the programs are saved too.

SandraParis

SandraParis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
nothing like that :-( :tazz: