Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Can I Make Linux Look Like Mac OS X?

• Please log in to reply

j123jam

j123jam

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I currently have windows XP on a new Toshiba laptop, but I want to install Linux. I am waiting until the newest release of MandrivaLinux is available on the public FTP servers. But I am concerned the Linux just doesn't have the nice look and feel of XP or OSX. I would really like to have my linux looking and acting like OSX, perhaps with a dock and such. How can I make it look like that? Is there someway to do it in KDE or Gnome? Thanks!

Advertisements

loxs

loxs

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ark Linux has the option of an Os x type desktop(I haven't tried it yet) though I don't recommend Ark for an easy setup or stability......aLinux (formerly peanut) has a nice kde desktop that is xp pro's twin and is a pretty good little distro that doesn't take much room. I think you will be happy with any newer distro, they all look nice. SuSE 10 is extremely stable and easy to set up but doesn't come with many themes or backgrounds but you can download hundreds from novell and other places around the net.

<<<Edit .... aLinux also has the option of an OS X type desktop ...>>>
loxs

Edited by loxs, 10 November 2005 - 10:50 AM.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
make sure to use KDE for your desktop environment. that will give you the "pannel" which with enough configuring looks like osx. the desktop icons are easily changeable to any file (get the icons from a friend with osx or some website) as for the tops of windows, there is probably some site with ways to customize KDE and make your own themes for it, i'm sure with a little work, you could "paint" yourself a top window bar and buttons that look convincing. as far as i know, there is no one program mod that will make every thing look like a mac, good luck!

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
If you go with Gnome for your desktop environment you can always get Gnome Configurator which has the ability to make your desktop look any way you want including color schemes and, feel etc....

http://www.krakoa.dk...ftware.html#COG