Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange USB/Printer problem

• Please log in to reply

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello All,

I'm on a new Compaq computer running Win XP which I bought last month. I installed my Samsung QL5100
A laser printer using USB connection and I've been able to print no problem until yesterday when it simply just didn't work. In Word when I got to the select printer menu it displays as an option and I went into control panel/printer etc...and found that it's set for USB port printing. So, I tried to re-install the driver from the CD and to my utter horror got the following message:

Warning: You cannot install USB Port Drivers because your PC/Windows doesn't support USB.

Um...yeah. Something is messed up. Spybot and Norton Anti-Virus found nothing out of sorts so I'm at a loss of what to do here.

Just for kicks I tried installing the regular printer driver (prolly for serial port or whatever) from the CD and
got the following error: Error occured during the move process: -115

The last resort measure I have in mind is to do a complete re-install which means I get to test the do-it-yourself system install restore disks that one makes with HP/Compaq products because they're too cheap to include them with the system--but that's another issue and rant. :tazz:)

PLEASE help if you know what the heck the problem is.

Thank you!

Cheers,
Arf.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on my computer > manage > device manager...do you see any yellow ?

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello!

Checked and no yellow at all. Not sure if I should say phew or [bleep]! Ha ha ha.
What's next?

Cheers,
Arf.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Back to Device Manager.. Is the USB Controllers option listed there (should be right on the bottom)..

Murray

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello,

Yep...it's there.

Cheers,
Arf

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Hello,

Yep...it's there.

Cheers,
Arf

Click on the "+" sign.. what does it show??

Murray

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
It says....

SiS7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controler
SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controler
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Have you tried printing from another program such as Notepad or Wordpad? Do you get the same error messages?

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello,

Holy cow! I was able to print from Notepad.

I 'll check back here about 10pm PST for your next instructions.

Cheers,
Arf.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Try printing from Wordpad. If you can print from wordpad then I would think that the problem is with Word. How is Word working otherwise? Any other problems? This may be a longshot but I think I'd try the repair utility in the Help menu.....

Arfinwulf

Arfinwulf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello,

Wordpad works too--then I opend Word and behold: it now prints. I have no explanation and doubt that simply printing from the other software could have fixed the problem. Interestingly enough, I still get the error message I first mentioned when I try to re-install the software (no USB support etc....) Still, as long as it prints for now that's good enough for me. Any further advice is greatly appreciated though, and THANK YOU to all who responded (so quickly too) to my SOS.

Cheers,
Arf.