Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

shut down or leave run? ~The age old question

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
In your opinion, or maybe in a technical opinion, is it better to leave your system run all the time, overnight, etc... or should you shut your system down hwen you won't be using it for hours??? It seems like everyone has a different opinion, I always let mine run but need some advice........!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it really depends on personal preference.....

on the one hand..turning the machine off every day puts a little bit more wear and tear on the hardware because of the power cycling and the fact that start up is usually the hardest for the machine.

and on the other hand the heat caused by continual "on-ness" of a machine can also take it's toll on the system....

in general, the pros of each scenario (leaving the thing on means you don't have to wait for it to boot, turning it off seems physically safer as far as electrical disturbances and thermal breakdown) don't really add up to enough to make one option better than the other....but like i said...personal preference

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you use your computer every day, leave it on. Even better, help cure cancer:
http://www.geekstogo...ays-t11746.html

If you don't use it everyday, turn it off and save the electricity.

Current PC technology is usually developed in servers, which are designed to run 24/7. There are no problems leaving them running. The possible exception being the hard drive. IDE hard drives are not designed to run 24/7, but they can be powered off in your Windows power setting when idle for a preset time.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I usually just go into standby.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Haven't shut mine off in 2 months :tazz:

njustice

njustice

• PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
Last time I restarted my computer was on for 3 months. I ran Cleanup! and it removed 4GB of junk. :tazz:

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
Wasting scarce energy is CRIMINAL. I won't leave my machine on for more than 6 hours straight. I feel very strongly about this....

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I shut mine down every night, just like I turn the lights off....no one is up, so why leave them on :tazz:

Edited by Jacee, 09 November 2005 - 02:46 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
At home I turn my PCs off at night. Here at work I have my staff turn them off also. Just doesnt make sense to waste that much electricity.

However, I do have a number of servers and other machines with specific tasks that stay running 24-7-365.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Dr. Gutstein

Dr. Gutstein

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Wasting scarce energy is CRIMINAL. I won't leave my machine on for more than 6 hours straight. I feel very strongly about this....

The same opinion. :tazz:

I shut mine down every night, just like I turn the lights off....no one is up, so why leave them on

I turn on at night and shut down in evening :) :)

Edited by Dr. Gutstein, 09 November 2005 - 04:25 PM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Mine stays on, 24/7, unless I'm leaving town for a few days. I would not tell anyone to leave their computer running all the time if there was not a working UPS on the system. Power outages and fluctuations(brownouts) will damage hardware. I do reboot for grins and giggles, occasionally, especially after MS updates and software uninstalls.

Johanna

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I leave mine on 24/7 because I use my computers to search for THE CURE as Admin mentioned above if you leave your computer on please Check this out and join our team then you truely will not be wasting electricity.

For those of you interested Heres a link that explains how much electric a computer uses, basically about the same as a light bulb. In my area I figuared it out using the formula and it costs me about $7 bucks (US) a month to leave 4 computers running but as near as I could tell when I got my electric bill for the month it was closer to $5.

I consider that my little donation toward fighting cancer and don't have to feel guilty about wasting anything including my spare cpu cycles because you see when a computer runs it normally only uses a small percentage of its power (cpu cycles) the rest is wasted while still using about the same amount of electric but the UD program used to help fight cancer that is running in the backround uses up these spare cpu cycles for a good cause.

Rick

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I turn my pc on every day after I get home from tech school, but when its time to goto bed I turn it off.

Do what you want. lol

The only time I will leave my pc on overnight is if Im uploading a whole game onto a rental hosted server through ftp... because it takes forever.

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Haven't shutdown for a while. It's always on.. But I restart it about every day.

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
its on unless I'm going to be gone for a day or more, or if windows updates ruin my uptime :tazz: