Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating Sytem Configuration

• Please log in to reply

justtomore

justtomore

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have recently had many problems with Windows ME.
I decided to do a Factory Restore from Compaq Restore CD.
This seemed to initially work but didn't last. After re-installing desired programs (ie MS Office, Adobe, Zone alarm, etc) and software for printer, scanner, gamepad etc, The system continually freezes and the only thing to do is a hard shutdown (power off). I thought maybe there was a conflict in some programs because I loaded all the desired ones before trying the system after each one. I have now done another Factory Restore and now can't get anything else to install without freezing and getting the "Updating system Config" described below.
Sometimes (at random) I get a message during startup "Updating System Configuration Disk3, Disk 4" (I think this is my CD and CD-RW drives)
Then I get "Operating System not found on any Drive Hit any key to try again"
I hit any key and get same thing
Cntrl Alt Del does nothing
If I power down and restart right away I get
"Operating System not found on any Drive Hit any key to try again"
If I shutdown and wait 15-20 Minutes
"Updating System Configuration Disk1 (followed by some #s), Disk3, Disk 4"
Then Windows starts fine but soon freezes, especially if I try to load anything
Thanks

Advertisements

justtomore

justtomore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Also if I put the Compaq Restore CD in when I get the Updating Disk 3 & Disk 4. It says starting Windows 98 then a whole bunch of other things (I am not home to show what it says) then it goes to A:\
It will not let me switch to C:\

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you have Win ME startup floppy, you could try booting from it, formatting C: to wipe all data from it . Then using the recovery CD again. Hopefully, if the problem is caused by corrupt or malicious files on C, the format will nuke everything so you have a clean C drive install Windows on.