Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP problem

• Please log in to reply

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
When I first turn on my IMB thinkpad laptop i get this error message:

Windos could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnlexe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Okay now I am on a Sony Vaio so i have the ability to read the help from you guys and actually follow the instructions on the laptop next to me. But the biggest problem is that i dont have a copy of the Windows XP software so I'm truely lost on this one. I can try downloading XP and burning it to a disk to see if that helps but anything you guys can say will help me.....so thanks in advance for looking at this problem for me.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You are unlikely to download a legitimate copy of XP

Borrowing a same version XP CD would be better

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok I got a version of XP and put it in the disk drive and it repaired the system. But now that I have it going and I log on to my account about Five minutes or so an error comes up telling me that Windows will shut down and restart within a minute. The error has something to do with a "LSASS.EXE" file. What should I do now. The error report thing comes up before taht comes up too but I dont recall exactly what it says and I am at work right now so I dont have access to the laptop. :tazz: :) :) If more information is needed I can provide that in some time.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you try to get the exact error message

Can you run these

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
The error report message or the Warning message? Or would you like both?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Both if you have them

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok I can have that for you when I get off work. Thanks for the help

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
This is the error report message:

LSA Shell (Exoprt Version) has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Shut down message:
System Shutdown
This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT Authority\SYSTEM

'C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe' terminated unexpectedly with sataus code 128. The system will now shut down and restart.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SYMPTOMS
After you install the 835732 (MS04-011) security update on a computer that is already infected with the Sasser worm, the computer may continue to generate network traffic on the affected Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) ports to try to spread the worm infection to other vulnerable computers. If your computer is infected with the Sasser worm, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: • Your computer performance is decreased or your network connection is slow.
• You may see a dialog box that contains text that refers to LSA Shell.
• Your computer may restart every few minutes without user input.
It is also possible that you will not notice any symptoms of infection. For example, the second and third symptoms may not occur on infected computers that have the 835732 security update installed, although the computer is still infected and is still spreading the worm to other computers.

For more information about the 835732 security update, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft...n/ms04-011.mspx

http://support.micro....com/kb/890830/

Have a look through those

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
If I just loaded XP on to the laptop how can I there be a worm on the computer? I dont have any connection to the internet yet or any network. And while installing XP I accidently put it on two partitions(what ever that means?? :tazz: ) so i had to delete both partitions for it to install right. Once they were deleted I had to create a new partion for XP to go on. I didnt set it to how many MBs it would be or any of the specifics I was just playing around trying to get it to work. So if you can tell me a way to fix the worm problem without having internet acess or a way to install XP to wher its on the computer correct then that would be great...

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got any data you need on the machine

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
no nothing on the computer matter. I just need it to type term papers an make websites. and i can put micro office, dreamweaver an photoshop on there again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For XP Home

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm

Ignore screen five, press D to delete, press enter, type L to confirm, press enter, then you get format options, choose NTFS full, not quick for this

This is another guide, make sure you end up with RAW 1 new partition on C when it is formatting

http://www.windowsre...stall/part1.htm

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
now its telling me that it cannot boot from the CD

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC then keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, look for boot order, change to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 to save and exit, type Y to confirm, press enter, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter