Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gmail

• Please log in to reply

BlueBoots

BlueBoots

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I think I deleted some activeX I need while clearing off a trojan.

I can't login to Gmail! At first I had issues with MSN, a few sites through IE (Tho I mainly use Firefox, which seemed fine) but things calmed down with adjusted security settings. The only thing left I can't access, no matter the browser, is Gmail. The page loads, but the 'login' box doesn't. At all. In IE it appears like an Iframe with the 'page' not loading for some reason, in Firefox the box is simply grey.

I ran ActiveX Manager and I'm missing both RECIP.recipCtl.1 and Microsoft Restore 1.0 Type Library (Eek)

How do I find these and install them? Or is it something completely different that I'm missing?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Are you able to access any secure sites?

BlueBoots

BlueBoots

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeap. I can still access my banking, paypal, trademe. Just Gmail freaks out, I have no idea why.

Thanks for replying!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You're the second person today with this problem. Not sure what's causing it, but I'll be on the lookout. You might want to submit a HijackThis log:
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Are you able to access any secure sites?

View Post

Admin may be right on the money. You didn't mention what browser you are using, but you might want to double check and see if the site for Gmain login has been set to "Allow" for this site. It is a https:// login and your Internet settings may be incorrect. I've had some browsers partially load a page then seem to hang because of this. After setting site as an "Allowed" site, I had no problem.

I just started using Gmail and so far have had no problems...yet! :tazz:
Looking forward to hearing about what seems to be the exact problem if this doesn't solve the problem.

Ron

BlueBoots

BlueBoots

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sure, I use firefox mainly. I'm pretty sure all my settings are sweet, but I'll take another look.

thedannimonster

thedannimonster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I feel your pain. I am having the exact same issue. For me, the problem started after I downloaded an IP masker called "Mask Surf Standard." The IP masker worked great for its purpose, but gmail has been messed up for me ever since. [*note* I did update my crappy antivirus software (the shield antivirus)- so it may be that as well, but I am 99.9% sure it was the ip masker program.]

Here is the deal. I checked out my active x controls and found the following two missing: Microsoft ActiveX Plugin; RECIP.RecipCtl.1. I think the software was playing with my registry without warning me.

The first missing activex control means that I cannot use Microsoft update. I also cannot use gmail regularly (it just loads to the basic html page), which I assume is tied to the second control. I tried deleting both controls, but this did not help. Microsoft update reinstalled the control, but the website still freezes up on the "checking for updates" page.

I'm a smart [bleep], so I turned off system restore. I have a registry backup and might try using that soon, though God only knows what I have installed on my computer since the last registry backup (i.e., I don't want to trade one problem for another). I also just restored my system three weeks ago, and really really really don't want to go through that hassle again.

Here is a support page I created with more details on the problem, and several *failed* attempted fixes, on gmail:

http://groups.google...e581b4af0f41188

I would greatly appreciate any help with this. I absolutely hate it when I get a problem on my computer that I can't fix;)

[edit] hehe. i just realized the last post date was 2 years ago. c'est la vie.

Edited by thedannimonster, 22 April 2007 - 10:38 PM.