Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shutting down

• Please log in to reply

toad_butt

toad_butt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, kids sure are something these days. We always say, if you can't figure it out, get the six year old grandkid to do it for you. Except now the six year olds are both eight and the others are too young yet. lol

I hope I can figure out how to put in an attachment here. Haven't found it yet. :tazz: Ahh, found it. :)

I'll tell DH in the a.m. He's already asleep. He'll be happy to hear that. He's so good at finding great deals, I keep telling him he needs to start a personal shopping business. Maybe since he's down, poor baby, he'll go for it. Better still, he can install it. I can do some things - he just has a knack for all of it and doesn't realize it yet.

Attached Files

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your "Hubby" did pretty good at $120...Here's what I came up with in the same price range...

MSI-AMD Bundle

MSI-AMD Bundle

Soyo-AMD Bundle

There are some cheaper bundles on this site, but when they get much cheaper than this WITH the processor, I have to wonder about the quality of the MoBo.

wannabe1

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Are you sure you want to replace the motherboard and processor at this stage? Isn't that too early to decide? There are few steps that could be taken to diagnose the problem before going to such replacement. If cpu temperature is too high then it can be rectified by taking off the heatsink, cleaning its bottom and the top of the cpu thoroughly from any thermal paste or thermal pad remains, using a good solvent in the process, such as nail polish acetone (make sure to unplug the computer from main power supply), apply a VERY thin layer of a good quality thermal paste and reinstall carefully. In most cases it drops cpu temperature considerably, provided the ribs of the heatsink are clean and ALL fans are in good condition.

If this doesn't help with the restarting problem I would check the RAM and power supply unit.

Please advise if you are interested to continue checking the old system. Restarting is a problem which can usually be fixed. If you do, we can keep guiding you.

Wish you, wannabee1 and everyone else happy holidays.

Ami Yogev

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Happy Holidays to you, too, Ami... :tazz:

I think you might have missed this in an earlier post, though...don't think there's really much point in working with this motherboard any longer...

I have some popped capacitors (I've been calling them capacitators - like that non-word better lol), which weren't there not long ago

Thanks for the offer, though...it's always appreciated.

wannabe1

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi wannabee1 and everybody else.

If the capacitors are really popped up (I am not sure what English term to use) then there is really not much to expect from this mother board. I did'nt miss the line which you quoted but since in my country many people struggle to keep their old systems, I have quite an experience with old motherboards recovery. It is not very often that you see overheated capacitors, and in many cases you need an experienced eye to tell. Since there is a clear cpu overheating problem which wasn't resolved I thought that this and some other relatively easy tests could be considered before reaching a final decision about system replacement.

Kind Regards

Ami Yogev