Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major IBook Problem on Linux Install

• Please log in to reply

newapple

newapple

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I received as a gift a used IBook G3, 700MHZ notebook. It was loaded with the latest OS X Tiger. I didn't have any problems with the notebook. The problem started when my younger son was talking to his brother, who is in college, who suggested that he install Linux Ubuntu on the ibook. Well I guess he didn't do a very good job at doing this. I understand that Linux can be sometimes difficult to load if the commands aren't known well. Ever since he tried this the Ibook will not boot up to any operating system. It starts with the short startup music, then the Apple icon comes onto the middle of the screen. Underneath the Apple icon you can see a progress arrow going around in circles. It stays like that, going around in circles, for quite a while. To me, it's going in a loop looking for something. Eventually, the screen turns blue and then a white box that says MAC OS X appears with a progress bar beneath it. The progress bar never completes. You can hear it searching for something that it never finds. After a long while I usually give up and start again. I have tried booting up using a OS X Tiger disk, but it just starts spinning, stops and ejects the disk. I have also tried to go to safe boot mode, but nothing happens. Can anyone help? :tazz:

Edited by newapple, 23 November 2005 - 04:22 PM.

Advertisements

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
i think you made the wrong choice - OS X TIGER is far better than Linux, especially on Macs

there's no doubt your computer can be saved, and it is quite a good computer

you may need to bring this into Apple or call Apple for advice - there's definetly a phone number for you to call on www.apple.com