Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Upgrade Hangs

• Please log in to reply

captvideo

captvideo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
GErryF

This mahcine is a Dell Inspiron 8100. I have been running this very Windows on the machine for a couple of months no problem. The reinstall is the same disk I used for the orignal install. I have upgraded the BIOS a while back to the latest version. I freswh loaded Win XP after my last hard drive bought the radish. This is a new drive but has worked perfectly. It only has SP 1 but I have the SP2 disk. I have also tried someone elses Windows XP disk fresh from the shrinkwrap with the same results.

The Phoenix Bios version is A15, the last one for this machine.

Thanks for staying with this.

Advertisements

captvideo

captvideo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Comrade General

Wrack your brain! What was it? Where is it? :tazz:

phillyhj

phillyhj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
any ideas?

bthomas98

bthomas98

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had exactly the same problem.
Windows XP stops responding during the Preparing Installing Phase.
After all activity stopped - 33 min remaining.
Shift F10 to get to a dos prompt.
notepad c:\windows\setupapi.log

check what the event.
Mine was a problem with a .dll

I replaced the file. using my thumb drive using the repair console.
I started taskmgr from the command line.
From the command prompt I typed "setup" to restart the installed which had stopped.

After it completed the original screen re appeared showing 33min remaining.
Using task manager I stopped the proccess and rebooted.

I will elaborate upon request.

You're Welcome

Loganbiz

Loganbiz

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Please do elaborate. I was able to check the the setupapi.log. It appears that I too have .dll problem. Where would I get these files to replace them?

I was wondering if the problem might have to do with the fact that the dynamic upgrade failed to connect and I elected to go ahead and install without upgrading, thinking I could upgrade to SP1 or SP2 afterward. I ordered an SP2 disk from MIcrosoft. Will this help me solve the problem?

bthomas98

bthomas98

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Location for .dll

http://www.dll-files.com/

I'll think about your other question

pyius

pyius

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was having this problem on a client's computer as well, stuck at 33 minutes. I've had this problem in the past with another client's computer. I think what I did in the past was disable USB via BIOS. This time, however, I did the following.

1) Wait until 33 minutes appears
2) [Shift]+F10
3) Type in: setup -newsetup

After doing that, it went through fine. Hope this helps.

--pyius

sstevens69

sstevens69

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I think I may have found an answer to this issue. I had an empty device manager on Dell 1000 Inspiron Notebook, Celeron 2.2, 512mb RAM, running Windows XP Pro SP2. Without doing any research, I assumed the device manager had become corrupt and started to do a re-install of the system, and got hung up at the 33 minute mark.

I found an answer over on the annoyances.org forum, apparently it's a spyware issue, a relatively SIMPLE matter of uninstalling an adware program:
http://www.annoyance...inxp/1132874240

To get beyond this problem:
- I opened a command prompt (SHIFT-F10)
- navigated to c:\windows\system32 directory and launched the add/remove applications control panel (APPWIZ.CPL)
- removed "Context Plus" from the list of installed programs

After I did that, I rebooted, let the installer run itself (as it had done about 10,000 times). When it got to the 33 minute mark, I opened a command prompt, launched the system properties control panel (Sysdm.cpl) and all the devices were there! Some devices appeared damaged, and will need reinstalling, but I can deal with that.

The biggest thing is the installer is well on its way to completing (it's now at 2 minutes -- 'saving settings' -- and counting -- WOO HOO!!). I'll let you know if it completes.

Sherm

p.s. I was just able to log into my system. I'm sure there's some damage done, and I plan to do a fresh reinstall/format, but at least I'll be able to do it on my own terms and save my data!!

I HATE SPYWARE/ADWARE!!! I think we should launch a massive DOS attack on all their servers... :)