Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A possible solution to a common problem

• Please log in to reply

Ruben Rodriguez

Ruben Rodriguez

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS UNTIL ONE OF THE TECHS HAVE OK'D IT - IT WORKED FOR ME MAYBE BY CHANCE

For the past couple of weeks my computer has had a 15-20 min. boot time which became extremely annoying to me today. I spent about 4 - 6 hours troubleshooting and discovered the following.

SLPMONX by PRODEX TECHNOLOGIES[color=#FF0000] (I googled it and I still do not know what and where it came from)

I used popular programs like, ccleaner, ad aware, hijack this, and other registry utilities.

BUT what helped me the most was I ran msconfig and disabled stuff in the services and startup section and BOOM the computer boot up like new. Then I enabled all of the statup items and again the computer started up beautifully. BTW, under the SERVICES i clicked on HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES and went through them one by one until I came across above said SLPMONX.

To make a long story short, I eneabled everything EXCEPT SLPMONX and my computer works and runs like before.

I still do not know what it does or how I put it into the services. I would love to know more and possibly remove it only if it does not effect anything.

Like I said, this solution worked for me so please let one of the tech fellas approve this before you do anything.[u]

Thanks

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Your "fix" is merely a band-aid, its not a complete fix. msconfig should only be used by folks who know what they are doing.

As for your unknown service, I suggest you submit a HiJackThis log for one of our experts to take a peek at and see if we cant find a more permanent solution to your problem.

ScHwErV :tazz: